Connect with us

News

Obaseki Accuses Politicians Of Burning Down Benin Markets

Published

on

Spread the love

………. Approves N100m as compensation to Ekiosa Market inferno victims.

By Idris Ahmed, Edo

The Edo State Government has accused some politicians under the aegis of the disbanded Edo Peoples Movement (EPM) of sponsoring arsonists, to sabotage markets in Benin metropolis and the state government.

The State Governor, Mr. Godwin Obaseki, disclosed when he led members of the state executive council to inspect the extent of damage at Osa market (Ekiosa) and the Edo Development Property Agency (EDPA) after the inferno of Sunday, December 22, and blamed unscrupulous politicians whose sole agenda is to sabotage his government.

He said that the initamnt was not an accident, but the handiwork of arsonists out to sabotage markets and discredit government.

The governor,! therefore approved the release of N100 million to compensate traders whose goods were destroyed in the fire incident, described the situation as very unfortunate that different markets in the state have been gutted by fire within a short period.

READ:  Court Sacks Edo Council Chairman, Swore In Petitioner 

a development he attributed to the antics of the enemies of the state.

Obaseki revealed that intelligence reports indicated that some people who are disgruntled over his reforms and programmes targeted at improving the welfare of the people, were behind the recent inferno in the markets.

He decried the new dimension of the fire incidents in the state, where these suspected arsonists, prevented firefighters from gaining access to markets being gutted by fire.

The governor said the fire incidents were politically motivated by the disgruntled politicians, who had vowed to make the state ungovernable for him.

“They say they want to shame us; they tried other tricks, but did not succeed. They say they will cause havoc during this Yuletide, but their plans will fail.

READ:  Nasarawa Receives Award Of Excellence For Best Pilgrim’s Management For 2019 Hajj

“You cannot tell me that the fire on the 6th floor of the EDPA building was an accident. It is a clear case of arson. We had passed the market to Edo Central Senatorial District. We got to hear about the fire at about 10 itam. The Fire Department was sent in from the University of Benin (UNIBEN), but the people attacked them

“Last week, when a similar incident occurred, fire fighters came in to quell the fire in Oliha market and the people chased them. There is a pattern to what they are doing.

“They should try whatever they like, but we will continue to work for the people of the state; they cannot remove us from Edo,” he said.

He asked the market women association to submit a list of traders whose goods were burnt in the market so that they could be compensated, adding, “The traders should come up with a list so we can assist you to start again. The money will be given to you through Sterling Bank.”

READ:  Hope Returns To Nigerian Youths As FG Extends N-POWER Batch C On-Line Application

The governor said the market would be rebuilt from early 2020, while a section of it would be cleared for the traders to use as a temporary arrangement.

He added that the state government has decided to take over the security of markets from local councils and would work with market associations to secure markets, noting that markets without fire extinguishers and borehole would be shutdown.

Edo state Commissioner of Police, Mr Lawan Jimeta, has promised to deploy his men to ensure the success of the security arrangement by providing the needed personnel and strategies.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Plateau State Government Revokes 3 PW Roads Contracts, Says The Contracts Will Be Re-awarded.

Published

on

Spread the love

 

Yahaya Idris, Jos.

Governor Simon Lalang of Plateau State.

Plateau state Government has approved the termination of three road projects awarded to a company PW Nigeria Limited, explaining that the contracts were revoked based on request by the company handling the projects.
PW Nigeria is one of the leading construction contractors of roads, bridges, airports, urban infrastructure, dams and water treatment.

Commissioner for Information and Communication, Dan Manjang, who spoke to newsmen after the State Executive Council Meeting in Jos said the contracts would be re-awarded.

He said the projects include Shinkwan-Tunkus-Shendan bypass, Mangu bypass and the Tahos-Ganwuri section one roads.
Mr. Manjang said council also approved the scaling down of the Lalong legacy projects by fifty percent.

READ:  Former Kogi LG Administrator Returns To The Bar, Assumes Legal Service For People And Humanity

He said that the state Executive also approved the engagement of a consultant to carry out review of the audit report by the federal inland revenue service on unremitted Tax and VAT by the state MDA’s between 2016 and 2017 .

Commissioner for Finance in the state , Regina Soemlat ,who also spoke to newsmen said the state is set to obtain a loan of One hundred million naira from commercial banks to invest in the education and water sectors.
She said the loan is intended to finance counterpart fundings for the state Universal Basic Education Board and the Partnership for Expanding Water, Sanitation and Hygiene programmes that will benefit people at the grassroots.

READ:  Hope Returns To Nigerian Youths As FG Extends N-POWER Batch C On-Line Application

The approval to obtain the bank facility which would be serviced within one year was made during the state executive council meeting presided by Governor Simon Lalong.

The council also approved the printing of booklets of vehicle licence, certificate of road worthiness and general receipts which the commissioner explained that they would be produced in a way that will check forgery.

Continue Reading

News

Fire Guts PeeLinks Electronic Mall In Lokoja

Published

on

Spread the love

Barely few days of Felele Tanker explosion that left several people dead, destruction of million worth of properties, popular electronic mall in Lokoja, Kogi state has been gutted by fire, razing down multi-million worth of electronic appliances.

According to eyewitness who spoke to Globaltimesnigeria, The incident was reported to have occurred at about 10:47 pm on Friday, The Mall which is located at about 100meters to the office of the fire service couldn’t receive the appropriate attention of the fire service as at the time, the office has closed for its services.

All efforts to provide help by people living around the residence prove abortive.

READ:  Eid El Fitr: FCT Minister, Ramat Aliyu Forfeits Salary To Secure Release Of 5 Inmates In Kuje  

The people who were greeted by confusion expressed dissatisfaction over the incident, describing it as evil.

The people living at the neighborhood angrily called on the Government to find permanent solution to prevent further occurrence, stating that they have lack of confidence in the present Adminstration, as the government is seen at all times failing in their primary responsibility of providing adequate security of lives and Properties.

It could be recalled that, Pastor Gideon Isah had call for severe prayer for Lokoja, and Kogi state.

Continue Reading

News

BREAKING: FG Obtains Fresh Order To Stop Planned Labour Strike

Published

on

Spread the love

The Global Times Nigeria reports that the Federal Government has obtained a fresh order stopping the Nigeria Labour Congress and the Trade Union Congress from embarking on their planned strike which is to start on Monday.

According to the reports, the restraining order was issued on Friday by Justice Ibrahim Galadima of the National Industrial Court in Abuja, following an ex parte application by the Office of the Attorney-General of the Federation.

This came barely 24 hours after the same judge made a similar restraining ex parte order in favour of a group, Peace and Unity Ambassadors Association, on Thursday.

READ:  Eid El Fitr: FCT Minister, Ramat Aliyu Forfeits Salary To Secure Release Of 5 Inmates In Kuje  

The duo of Acting Director of the Department Civil Litigation of the Federal Ministry of Justice, Mrs Maimuna Shiru, and Mr Tijjani Gazali, led the Federal Government’s team, who moved the ex parte application that was later granted by Justice Galadima on Friday.

The NLC and TUC had jointly declared to embark on a nationwide strike on Monday to press for the reversal of the recent hike in electricity tariff and petrol pump price.

Continue Reading

Trending