JANUARY 15, 2020
My dear good people of Imo State,
I address you today, following recent developments affecting our dear state, and in particular the Supreme Court judgement of 14thJanuary 2020.In my relationship with you as Governor of Imo , I had employed regular consultations and dialogue as a tool of political discourse. This informs this course of action.
2. I am reporting back to you our great Imo people on the fate of the mandate you freely gave to me as Governor and Engr. Gerald Irona as Deputy Governor. This mandate has now been truncated and cut short by the Supreme Court, in contravention of the will of the people.
3. We shall always cherish the tremendous goodwill and support you gave us as we grappled with setting up a new administration to rebuild a state that was devastated by bad governance.
4. In the last seven months we sought to elevate merit, unity of purpose, honesty, transparency and an inclusive approach to governance, as the hallmarks of our administration. We sought to restore once again, the pride and dignity of Imo people. We worked very hard to re-engineer the Imo renaissance. But God knows why he has allowed this current state of affairs.
5. No doubt, yesterday’s Supreme Court verdict, came to us as a rude shock and surprise considering the facts on ground, legal precedence and clear verdict of Imo People on March 9 2019, that returned me as Governor with the highest valid votes of 273,404.
6. I do not agree with the judgement of the Supreme Court. I think it is unfair, unjust and does not reflect the voting that took place during the elections. It also didn’t take care of the sensibilities of the people of Imo State. But as true democrats, Engr Gerald Irona and I have no option but to respect the outcome of that judgement.
7. Consequently, we have put machinery in motion to hand-over the reins of office to the APC Candidate as the the next governor of Imo State. This will be coordinated by the Secretary to the State Government. I therefore direct all members of Imo State Expanded Executive Council, and all political appointees to write their handing-over notes and to return all government properties in their custody, forthwith. I shall not be party to pilfering of Government property or funds.
8. May we use this opportunity to express our gratitude to God for the opportunity to serve, within the short period he granted us. We sincerely appreciate you for all your solidarity and goodwill. We would forever cherish and treasure your love, your trust and your partnership. We made our mark. Rebuilding our dear state is neither easy nor personal, but a task undertaken for our today and tomorrow.
9. I thank you all for your support which saw us achieve so much and reversed the negative trajectory of Imo State within a space of seven months. It is significant to note that Imo State was looking good again. We were declared the least corrupt State in the Country, the fastest state growing economy in Nigeria and the most improved, in terms of the deployment of Information Technology in service delivery. Our infrastructure was significantly coming to life, civil servants and pensioners were now being paid as and when due and optimism returned to Imo State. It is on record that we were acclaimed as the most sports and diaspora friendly state. Most importantly we returned life and activities to our local governments. Yes we had good plans to make Imo the centre piece of commerce, industry, technology, tourism by providing good leadership and first class infrastructure. Under our watch, Imo became safe with our systematic approach to securing lives and property.
10. All these were made possible by your prayers, support and sacrifices. I therefore appeal to all Imolites, especially our teeming supporters to remain calm and to shun any action that is capable of resulting in a breach of the peace. We can always have different parties, but we would have only one Imo State. In the same vein, I urge you to extend to my successor, the same support you gave to me. It is my wish that he will continue on the path we had set for the rebuilding of our state as well as consolidate on the progress and milestones we achieved.
11. It is incontrovertible that we ran a good race, fought tough battles, (including, principalities and powers)and governed the state well, with the fear of God, accountability, transparency and entrenched due process. We, however, take solace in the book of Ecclesiastics 3:1, “To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven”.
12. We step aside with implicit faith in the Sovereign Lord who reigns over the affairs of men.
13. Thank you.
Imo bu nke anyi.
Rt. Hon. Emeka Ihedioha, CON.
Gov Simon Lalong Relaxes Curfew In Plateau State
Following resolutions reached at a high level stakeholders’ meeting chaired by the Executive Governor of Plateau State, Rt. Hon. Simon Bako Lalong, one of which is the need for stakeholders to immediately engage their communities across the state in a systematic Peace dialogues aimed at de-escalating tension, the Government has decided to relax the curfew earlier imposed on Jos North and South Local Government Areas from 6am to 8pm as from Friday October 23, 2020 until further notice.
A statement by Chief Press Secretary, Prof. Danladi A. Atu, said the decision was reached after painstaking deliberations with critical stakeholders and careful assessment of the security situation that led to the skirmishes in some parts of the affected local government areas, last Tuesday.
Please note that the government is not unmindful of citizens’ Constitutional Rights to hold lawful assembly or stage peaceful protests as long as these are carried out within the extant laws of Nigeria. As a Government, we also appreciate the fact that these are the variables that further deepen our democracy.
However, as a deliberate approach to prevent a repeat of last Tuesday’s ugly incident where precious human lives and property were lost, the Government has for now also resolved to ban forthwith any processions and protests under whatever guise in order to safeguard the lives all citizens of the state. This is to enable the Government isolate and deal with those who are bent on disrupting the peace of the State.
By this notice, “we urge all law abiding citizens to go about their legitimate businesses without fear of molestation as government has put all necessary measures in place to ensure the maintenance of law and order across the state”.
For the avoidance of doubt, the Plateau State government has already set machinery in motion to address the demands raised by the protesters. In this light, government has constituted a Committee headed by a retired High Court Judge, Justice Philomena Lot which has since swung into action and ready to receive petitions from those who have cases.
“We sue for understanding and patience from all and sundry as government takes decisive steps to address the demands of the protesters in the coming weeks”.
“We therefore call on all citizens to avoid any action that is inimical to the overall development of the state especially those that threaten the peace and unity of our people”.
Kogi Switch To Action, Begins Rehabilitation Of Roads
Amidst coronavirus pandemic, #EndSARS protest and unfavourable economic situation in the country, Kogi State Government has defied all that and has begun second phase of grading of the 500 Unit, Ganaja Federal Road to ease the sufferings of motorists passing through the dilapidated road.
State Commissioner for Works and Housing, Engineer Abubakar Sadiq Ohere stated this while inspecting ongoing works on the site, said the grading became necessary after the first one carried out some weeks ago.
“We have began the second round of grading of roads within the 500 unit estate”.
The efforts is to ease the sufferings of commuters who are unable to still pass the major roads.
“We are concerned about the sufferings, and Gov. Yahaya Bello has directed that we Open up the alternative road”.
He said other roads in the state capital and in other parts of the Stste will follow up immediately after the rain subsides.
He thanked the people of the State for their patience and understanding, saying efforts is on to fix the Ganaja Federal Highway permanently from being cutoff Everytime the flood comes.
According to him, the initial design did not take cognisance of the heavy traffic reason why it is becoming increasingly difficult to maintain.
He however said the road would be made motorable for commuters in the next few days.
Hajiya Rakiya Bullet Congratulates Barr. Tanko Over Appointment As Chairman State Civil Service Commission
Yahaya Idris, Lokoja.
A famous grassroot Woman Politician in Kogi Local Government Area of the State, Hajiya Rakiya Ali Bullet has congratulated the newly appointed Chairman Kogi State Civil Service Commission, Hon. Alhaji Chief (Barr) Muhammed Tanko Musa Osuku.
Hajiya Bullet in a statement made available to Global Times Nigeria in Lokoja, the State capital on Tuesday said the appointment is Well-deserved considering his antecedent and track records of performance.
She said the appointment is well deserved in view of his efforts in transforming the council when he served as Administrator.
Hajiya Bullet who is also the former Assistant Small Governor representing Kogi LG, thanked the Governor Yahaya Bello for the honour done to their LG through the appointment of one of their own as Chairman State Civil Service Commission, having served earlier in his cabinet, and in his previous term.
She advised Barr. Tanko to deploy his expertise on the new portfolio, which is a call to higher service and responsibility in accordance with the mandate of the governor and provide possible way to reform civil service in the State.
According to her, Barr. Tanko had worked well in his previous office and through provision of social amenities, empowerment of youths, women and the less privilege, people’s oriented policies and other programs among others.
Hajiya Rakiya Ali Bullet is optimistic of his superlative performance, while assuring of her continued prayer, support and loyalty in order for him to achieve maximally.
She assured the civil servants that Barr. Tanko will not disappoint them, call for their support and cooperation to pave the way for tremendous success as Tanko’s passion for service to humanity is unrivalled.
Hajiya Rakiya Ali Bullet and some other women group had earlier paid a congratulatory visit to Barr. Tanko at his Lokoja residence.
News9 months ago
Kwara Gov Seeks Better Care For Fallen Heroes’ Families, Veterans
News5 months ago
Rape: Lady Caught Raping A 4 Year Old Boy In Rivers State
Grassroot5 months ago
Nasarawa: Appoint Isimbabi As Nasarawa SSG, Toto LG Youths Urges Gov Sule, Says Their Huge Electoral Strengths Should Be Consider.
News4 months ago
EGBIRA DEVELOPMENT ASSOCIATION NASARAWA STATE WRITES GOV SULE OVER BANDITRY IN TOTO LGA
News8 months ago
Gov. Bello To Return All Local Government Administrators As Elected Chairmen
News11 months ago
Breaking: About 9 Gunmen Invaded Toto Town, Kidnappes Housewife, Husband Whereabout Unknown
News10 months ago
Unknown Gunmen Attack Kogi Communities, Kill APC Chairman, Chief Imam and 20 Others, Injured Policemen
Editorial6 months ago
Alleged Mocking Kyari’s Death: I didn’t Celebrate Kyari’s Death, People Misunderstood Me Out Of Context — Engr. Mauazu Magaji, Ex Kano Commissioner, Works And Infrastructure.