Nasarawa State Governor, Engineer Abdullahi Sule has commissioned and handed over blocks of classrooms at Government Secondary School, Angwan Jarme, in Kokona Local Government Area.
The Governor, on Saturday, equally commissioned and handed over another blocks of classrooms at Government Secondary School, Shafa Abakpa, in Toto Local Government Area.
This is just as Engineer Sule flagged-off the distribution of 4000 deworming tablets for under 5 children, as well as Vitamin A supplement to 600 pregnant women and children. towards boosting their immunity.
Commissioning the block of classrooms in GSS Shafa Abakpa, the Governor, restated the commitment of his administration on executing policies and programmes towards improving the standard of education, healthcare delivery and other sundry services for the socio-economic development of the state.
Engineer Sule recalled that, as a mark of practical demonstration, his administration last year, embarked on the constructions of classroom blocks in Angwan Jarme, Mahanga and Mararaba Gongon in Kokona, Awe and Wamba Local Government Areas respectively, in collaboration with the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
He stressed that his administration will continue to provide conducive environment for effective teaching and learning, as well as improve the health conditions of the people.
Engineer Sule disclosed that, considering the importance his administration attaches to education, the state Universal Basic Education Board, has awarded contracts to qualified contractors for the mass construction and rehabilitation of primary and junior secondary schools across the state.
“I am happy to state that work has commenced in the benefitting schools for the benefit of the educational development of the state,” he stated.
While flagging-off the distribution of 4000 deworming tablets to children under 5, as well as Vitamin A supplement to 600 pregnant women and children in Toto town, Engineer Sule said the gesture is aimed at freeing children from worm infestation and boosting their immunity, improving their sight and vision, and equally reduce morbidity in children affected by infectious diseases such as measles.
He said the exercise, which is intended to enhance the quality of healthcare, improve nutrition of both pregnant women and children, was in collaboration with a nongovernmental organization, the Abraham Children Foundation, headed by Mr. Shama Labaran Sanda.
The Governor further disclosed that his administration has approved the implementation of the Save One Million Lives initiative in the state, which will see to the improvement of health for pregnant women, children under 5, immunization, nutrition, as well as distribution of treated mosquito nets.
“This is in line with Goals 2 (zero hunger), 3 (good health and wellbeing) and 17 (partnerships) of the SDGs,” Engineer Sule said.
Apart from this, the Governor said the scheme will also earmark 61 health facilities across the state, 51 PHCs, 1 tertiary hospital, 9 secondary facilities, including central store, with four PHCs identified in each local government area, for renovation and upgrading to meet global standard.
Engineer Sule used the opportunity of the visit to commission a magistrate court complex, built and donated by the Chief Judge of the state, Justice Suleiman Dikko.
Earlier in an opening remarks, Senior Special Assistant (SSA) on Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) to the Governor, Murtala Abubakar, disclosed that 44 projects were initially inaugurated across the state, with almost all the projects completed.
He expressed appreciation to the Governor, for the support and encouragement his office and staff continue to enjoy, enabling the SDGs office execute all the laudable projects.
In a goodwill message, State Commissioner of education, Hajiya Fatu Jimaita, said the construction of blocks of classroom by the SDGs, is aimed at ensuring inclusive and equitable quality opportunity for all.
Hajiya Fatu added that this is only possible when children are provided with access to quality education, so as to develop their potentials for a better future.
No Evidence Kwara LG Funds Were Diverted: Judicial Panel
Allegations that the Kwara State Government diverted or deducted N300m monthly from local government funds since May 2019 to date are null and void, panel of inquiry on the finance of the 16 local government areas has said.
The panel also said it found no evidence that the AbdulRahman AbdulRazaq administration has borrowed to pay salary or pension since it was inaugurated on May 29, 2019.
“We want to state categorically that there is no evidence either oral or documentary to support the allegation of N300m monthly deduction from the local government funds by the state government. The allegation of such deductions is therefore baseless, unfounded and false,” its chairman retired Justice Mathew Adewara said late Wednesday when the panel submitted its report to the Governor.
AbdulRazaq had on August 11 inaugurated the panel to investigate the allegations of diversion of local government funds or borrowings from the bank to pay salaries of local government workers.
Justice Adewara said a total of 35 witnesses testified before the panel while several documents were produced and tendered by them. He said the panel also visited some of the local governments to see what projects they have done as had earlier been submitted by the director of personnel management (DPMs) who appeared before them.
The report of the panel meanwhile has found that the state government “does not deduct money from the SUBEB account while salaries of teaching and non-teaching staff are paid as and when due from May 29 to date”.
Adewara said the panel only received a memorandum from the Elite Network for Sustainable Development (ENETSUD), adding however that the questions the civic group raised in its memo were “all based on incomplete information sourced from the internet and social media.
“Meanwhile, all the grey areas have been thoroughly thrashed out to the satisfaction of Mr Suleiman Oladimeji (of ENETSUD), having been confronted with the documents earlier submitted to the panel by the Kwara State Ministry of Finance.”
The report meanwhile confirmed that the last administration took two separate loans in the name of the local governments: N4bn and another N1.6bn.
“The past administration obtained a loan of N4bn from a commercial bank for payment of two months arrears of salaries of local government staff. It was this loan that the Local governments were repaying at monthly instalments of N317m. The loan of N4bn has been fully repaid in September 2019.
“There is another loan of N1.6bn also obtained by the past administration while the repayment of the loan is ongoing and will terminate in August 2022. It means therefore that the present administration inherited the obligation to repay the loan.”
The committee meanwhile urged the government to ensure “monthly publication of the total wage bill, IGR and expenditure at the state and Local government levels. This, we are sure, would guarantee accountability and transparency which will enrich the integrity of the government in the minds of the people; thereby preventing future reoccurrence of doubt, allegation of financial misappropriation emanating from the people against government.”
Justice Adewara commended the Governor for his boldness to direct a probe of his own administration — a development he asserted was new to the country.
“We commended Your Excellency’s courage to set up the panel to inquire into the finance of the local government from May 29 to date, which is the same as setting up a panel to investigate your administration,” he said.
The Governor, for his part, commended the panel for accepting to serve the state in such delicate capacity.
“We believe that the document you’re submitting will enrich us. I never authorised the deduction or diversion of any money and so nothing could have been so diverted,” he said.
“However, it was important to clear public doubt when allegations came that we were diverting some money. That was the essence of setting up the panel to see if there has been any anomaly as alleged. Your findings and recommendations will help us to strengthen the civil service both at state and local government levels, especially how funds are spent and managed.
“We campaigned on not interfering with local government finances and since we came in we have not done so. If anybody has done so it was without my knowledge. The local governments do not need my approval to spend any money. The main interface between the state and local governments is when the commissioner of finance and planning goes to Abuja for FAAC meetings, comes back and meets with the local governments that this is what we got for you from Abuja. That’s where it ends.
“Truly, we appreciate what you have done. We will go through your recommendations properly and implement them. Just as we set up this panel, the state house of assembly set up their own and I also invited the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) to come in and investigate the issues. That is ongoing. I thank you for your time.”
The eight-member panel comprised people drawn from various walks of life, including retired Justice Adewara (chairman); Mrs Halimah Bello (DSS); Mrs Titilayo Adedeji (CSOs); Barrister Aisha Bello Mohammed (NBA); DSP Adekunle Iwalaiye (police); Mohammed Baba Ibrahim (ICAN); Alhaja Asmau Apalando (NLC); and Barrister S.K Grillo (Secretary).
Mob Attacks Fed. MOW, Fire Service Over Failure To Quench Fire In Kogi.
By Idris Ahmed, Lokoja.
Angry mob early morning on Saturday attacked the Federal Ministry of Works and the Federal Fire Service over failure to quench fire that engulfed the multi billion naira ‘P — LINK’, an electrical and electronics super store in Lokoja, Kogi state capital.
The super store located on the popular IBB road in the state capital is alleged to have gutted fire following intermittent power outages at about 10.30 pm and continued to burn till the next day , despite efforts of sympathisers and volunteers.
Irked by the absence of fire fighters from both the state and federal fire fighters, some youth constituted themselves in to a mob and launched an attack on the Federal Ministry of Works situated directly opposite the scene of the inferno.
Both the Federal Ministry of Works and Fire Service which happen to be in the same premises were vandalised and property worth millions of naira including office equipments were allegedly destroyed.
The mob was also alleged to have uprooted the pole hoisting the national flag and went ahead to shatter the window pales of the mosque in the federal ministry’s Lokoja office.
All efforts to reach the Kogi state Commissioner of works, Engineer Abubakar Ohere, or other relevant officials of state ministry of works to comment on the incident and the alleged failure to discharge their responsibility and raid on the federal Ministry of works tailed as all phone calls were not answered.
However, officials of the federal ministry of works and fire service have confirmed the attack and vandalization of their facilities by the suspected mob, whom, they alleged acted in ignorance.
The officials who spoke under conditions of anonymity, said normally the federal fire service in the state is to compliment the state fire service, but was handicapped due to breakdown of its machines.
“It is true that irate mob attacked the federal fire service in Lokoja over the fire incident that raised down the P-Link super store, but it is on record that the federal fire service has always performed its duties, until when our vehicle got damaged due to an accident in the course of duty and has been taken to Abuja for repairs. This office should not take blame for the unfortunate incident”, the official stated.
The owner of the mall, Mr Peter Ojuneme, who expressed shock over the unfortunate incident, thanked the people of Lokoja and the Kogi state as a whole for their support, sympathy and encouragement, calling on relevant agencies to investigate the cause of the inferno to avert future occurrence, not only to him, but others.
Bauchi State Govt. Debunks Online Newspaper Publication Over Sacking Of Head of Service, Says Reports Mischievous
By Yahaya Idris, Bauchi.
A Senior Special Assistant on Media to the Governor of Bauchi State, Mr. Mukhtar Gidado, had denied an online Newspaper Publication allegedly stating that Governor Bala Mohammed has “sacked” Alh Ahmed Abubakar Ma’aji, as Bauchi State Head of Civil Service.
According to the statement: “For the avoidance of doubt and in order to put the records straight, it is imperative to clarify that at no time did His Excellency, Governor Bala Mohammed sack the immediate past Head of Civil Service. Alh Ahmed Abubakar Ma’aji, rather has reached the normal retirement age on Friday 25th September, 2020 haven meritoriously served the State for 35 year”.
“The news report is therefore a misrepresentation of the press release earlier issued conveying the appointment of the Acting Head of Civil Service Dr Bala M Lukshi .
The Governor’s Media Aide call on media practitioners to always cross check their facts before going to press for proper and effective information dissemination. He stated.
News9 months ago
Kwara Gov Seeks Better Care For Fallen Heroes’ Families, Veterans
News4 months ago
Rape: Lady Caught Raping A 4 Year Old Boy In Rivers State
Grassroot4 months ago
Nasarawa: Appoint Isimbabi As Nasarawa SSG, Toto LG Youths Urges Gov Sule, Says Their Huge Electoral Strengths Should Be Consider.
News8 months ago
Gov. Bello To Return All Local Government Administrators As Elected Chairmen
News3 months ago
EGBIRA DEVELOPMENT ASSOCIATION NASARAWA STATE WRITES GOV SULE OVER BANDITRY IN TOTO LGA
News10 months ago
Breaking: About 9 Gunmen Invaded Toto Town, Kidnappes Housewife, Husband Whereabout Unknown
News9 months ago
Unknown Gunmen Attack Kogi Communities, Kill APC Chairman, Chief Imam and 20 Others, Injured Policemen
Editorial5 months ago
Alleged Mocking Kyari’s Death: I didn’t Celebrate Kyari’s Death, People Misunderstood Me Out Of Context — Engr. Mauazu Magaji, Ex Kano Commissioner, Works And Infrastructure.