Connect with us

Sports

Coronavirus: Premier League Ditches Pre-Match Fair-Play Handshakes

Published

on

Spread the love

Premier League has announced that the pre-match handshakes between both teams and officials will not take place until further notice because of fears over the spread of coronavirus.

The measure comes the day after the government asked the league “to step up its contingency planning”.

The teams will still line up as usual but the home team will walk past the away side without shaking hands.

There have been more than 90,000 cases of the virus in 87 countries.

Government tells Premier League to ‘step up’ coronavirus planningValencia v Atalanta in Champions League to be played behind closed doorsCoronavirus sport timeline

READ:  João Felix Will Contributed And Give A Lot To Atletico In The Future.

A statement on the Premier League’s website said: “The Premier League fair-play handshake will not take place between players and match officials from this weekend until further notice based on medical advice.

“Coronavirus is spread via droplets from the nose and mouth and can be transmitted on to the hands and passed on via a handshake.”

Premier League leaders Liverpool announced on Thursday that they would not be having mascots at Anfield.

They have also cancelled staff travelling to any high-risk countries and “reminded everyone of good hygiene practices”.

The club also said there will be “hand sanitisers and/or antibacterial handwash in all the washrooms at Anfield” as well as hygiene information posters.

READ:  Former Players Struggling as Coaches in Their Former Clubs

Last week Newcastle manager Steve Bruce said the club had stopped their morning handshake ritualwhile West Ham boss David Moyes said the players would be fist bumping instead of shaking hands.

Southampton also banned players from signing autographs or taking selfies with fans.

League One club Sunderland have also told their players to not go abroad during their upcoming break.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sports

Gov Lalong Officially Kick Off Golf Tournament To Honour DG ITF Joe Ari’s Reappointment.

Published

on

Spread the love

By Yahaya Idris, Jos.

Mr. Simon Lalong, the Executive Governor of Plateau State, Friday performed the kick off at the golf tournament in honour of Director General of the ITF, Sir. Joseph  Ari.

Governor Lalong said the event is to commemorate his reappointment as DG of the organisation.

Governor Lalong made this known in a chat with Journalists shortly after the tee-off said he was delighted with the reappointment of Sir. Joseph Ari who he described as an achiever in the last four years of managing the organisation.

He assured that he would continue to support and partner the ITF in delivering empowerment to Nigerians.

READ:  Former Players Struggling as Coaches in Their Former Clubs

“Sir. Joseph Ari was full of praises to Governor Lalong for his support to him and other appointees from Plateau State which he said has given him the opportunity to serve without any hindrance”.

He also commended the Governor for developing the game of golf in Plateau State which has continued to bring people from all over the country as in the case for this tournament in his honour.

 

Continue Reading

Sports

El-Rufai To Participate In Kaduna Marathon

Published

on

Spread the love

Kaduna State Governor, Mallam Nasir El-Rufai

The Kaduna State governor, Mallam Nasir El-Rufai, has indicated his interest to participate at the maiden edition of the 10 kilometres Kaduna half-marathon.

El-Rufai also vowed to sustain the marathon, which is scheduled to hold on November 21, 2020 while urging the citizens to participate in the marathon.

“I will participate in the race, but I will not run more than 5 kilometres. I implore all to register for the Kaduna Marathon.

“We are doing our best to restore Kaduna back to its glory years, where anybody in Nigeria can retire to without ethnic or religious sentiments.

READ:  Barcelona great disaster in champions league confirm end of CR7-Messi dictatorship.

“The Kaduna Marathon is not my initiative, but that of our team of technocrats.

“You need not compliment the governor for this, this huge initiative is that of the dedicated team,” he said in a statement.

Meanwhile, the winner of the elite race of the marathon will take home a cash prize of $10,000, while the top 10 winners will all get cash prizes with the 10th placed to take $1,000.

 

Continue Reading

Sports

New-Look Everton Prove Too Good For Spurs

Published

on

Spread the love

 

Everton signalled their intent for Carlo Ancelotti’s first full season in charge as Dominic Calvert-Lewin’s towering header earned their first win over Tottenham since 2012 in a 1-0 victory on Sunday.

Ancelotti has been heavily backed with the signings of James Rodriguez, Abdoulaye Doucoure and Allan, and the Toffees looked a much-improved side on the one that finished 12th last season as they were thoroughly deserving winners at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium.

Spurs are also hoping for an upturn in Jose Mourinho’s first full season as boss, but the hosts looked short on ideas as they slipped to a damaging home defeat for their aspirations of mounting a challenge to get back into the top four this season.

Everton settled the quicker with their new midfield trio helping to control possession, but it was on the counter-attack they wasted by far the best chance of the game. Richarlison intercepted Ben Davies’s wayward pass and accelerated past Toby Alderweireld and Hugo Lloris before skewing high and wide with an open goal to aim at and Calvert-Lewin begging for a cut-back.

READ:  Maguire Found Guilty Of Aggravated Assault And Bribery.

Son Heung-min was by far Spurs’ most dangerous attacking outlet in a performance otherwise lacking in inspiration going forward. The South Korean’s teasing cross just evaded Harry Kane and the far post before he put Dele Alli in on goal and his shot forced a great save from fellow England international Jordan Pickford.

September 13, 2020

James curled his first sight of goal in an Everton shirt just wide, while at the other end Pickford stood up well again to deny Matt Doherty after Tottenham’s best move of the half saw the Irishman teed up by Kane’s dinked pass. Everton surrendered meekly to a 1-0 defeat when they visited the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium in July without mustering a meaningful shot on goal. But the difference a few months and fresh faces can make was on show in the second half as they controlled the game to earn a first win over Spurs in 16 games.

READ:  Sevilla Beat Inter Milan To Fly Flag For Spain.

Tottenham were given a few warnings before the only goal of the game arrived as James dragged a shot from inside the box wide before Richarlison mistimed his header at the back post from an inch-perfect James cross. The opener arrived 10 minutes after the break as Calvert-Lewin rose highest to power Lucas Digne’s free-kick into the top corner.

Mourinho said on Friday he hopes to add another striker before the end of the transfer window to add some support to Kane, but any new arrival will need better service to work with as the England captain did not have an opportunity to get his side back on level terms.

Everton and Richarlison continued to enjoy all the chances as twice the Brazilian cut inside on his favoured right foot and curled efforts just beyond Lloris’s far post. However, one goal was enough for a statement win for the visitors and the worst possible start for Tottenham ahead of a gruelling schedule as they face up to eight games in the Europa League, League Cup and Premier League in the next three weeks.

READ:  Luis Suárez Getting Closer To USA

 

Continue Reading

Trending