Abba Kyari, chief of staff to President Muhammadu Buhari, has finally broken his silence on health status, six days after testing positive for the coronavirus.
In a statement signed by him and shared with TheCable, Kyari said he is feeling well but will transfer from Abuja to Lagos on Sunday for further tests and observations.
“This is a precautionary measure: I feel well, but last week, I tested positive for coronavirus, the pandemic that is sweeping the world. I have followed all the protocols government has announced to self-isolate and quarantine,” he said in the statement shared with TheCable.
Here is the full text of his press statement.
I am writing to let you know that on medical advice, I will transfer to Lagos later today for additional tests and observation. This is a precautionary measure: I feel well, but last week, I tested positive for coronavirus, the pandemic that is sweeping the world. I have followed all the protocols government has announced to self-isolate and quarantine.
I have made my own care arrangements to avoid further burdening the public health system, which faces so many pressures. Like many others that will test also positive, I have not experienced high fever or other symptoms associated with this new virus and have been working from home. I hope to be back at my desk very soon. I have a team of young, professional, knowledgeable and patriotic colleagues, whose dedication has been beyond the call of duty, who continue to work seven days a week, with no time of the day spared. We will continue to serve the President and people of Nigeria, as we have for the past five years.
I want to thank all our fantastic, talented and brave healthcare professionals, working across the country in such a difficult time; all the good Samaritans looking out for the most vulnerable in our communities; the key workers that will keep our country going through this; friends and family and often strangers, who have sent me such warm wishes and displayed such a generosity of spirit.
We should be calm, measured and diligent – be meticulous in your hygiene, especially with cleaning hands, if possible stay at home or keep your distance. Listen to good advice from the proper authorities: pay no heed to quack cures or fake news from social media. President Buhari will do whatever it takes to protect the health and safety of our people and get the country back on its feet as soon as possible.
Like the whole world, we are dealing with a new disease. Our experts are learning more all the time about coronavirus, what it does and how we can combat it. What we do know is that while some may become very sick, many others who contract the virus will not, and may have no symptoms at all. This is a disease that recognises no difference between north and south, men or women, rich or poor. We are all in this together.
Chief of Staff to President Muhammadu Buhari
Racism: Neymar Avoided A Ban
Paris Saint-German’s Neymar and Marseille’s Alvaro Gonzalez have avoided punishment after allegedly making racist and homophobic remarks in the meeting between the sides earlier this month, the French league (LFP) announced on Wednesday.
The world’s most expensive player was accused of making the remarks towards Marseille’s Japan right-back Hiroki Sakai and Gonzalez. The Brazil attacker claimed the Spanish centre-back had called him a “monkey”.
“The disciplinary commission states that it does not have sufficient proof to allow it to establish the substance of the facts concerning discriminatory language,” the LFP said.
Marseille’s victory at Parc des Princes on September 13 was marred by an injury-time scuffle which saw five players red-carded. Neymar was sent off for slapping Gonzalez on the back of the head and was given a two-match ban for the incident.
Last week, PSG’s Angel Di Maria received a four-match ban for spitting during the fixture.
Governor Uzodima Wins Again At Federal High Court, As Suit Challenging Him Dismissed
The Federal High Court setting in Abuja, on Tuesday, dismissed a suit, asking the court to restrain Hope Uzodinma as Imo State governor.
The judge, Okon Abang, who delivered the ruling after taking arguments from counsel to parties, also ordered the award of N500, 000 each in favour of 1st, 2nd and 7th defendants in the matter.
The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that Kingdom Okere, Reform and Advancement Party (RAP)’s 2019 Governorship Candidate in Imo, had filed a suit asking the court to stop Mr Uzodinma.
While Mr Uzodinma is the 1st defendant in the suit, the governor of Imo, Attorney-General of Imo, All Progressives Congress (APC), Action Alliance (AA), Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) and Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) are 2nd to 7th defendants respectively.
Although all parties were represented at the resumed hearing on Tuesday, only Action Alliance was not represented.
Ifeoma Ogufo, Counsel to Mr Okere, informed the court that she had filed a notice to discontinue the suit and that defendants had been served.
M.A. Aguda, who was counsel to Mr Uzodima, did not oppose the application.
He urged the court to dismiss the suit.
However, Mr Aguda, who described the suit as a distraction to his client in steering the ship of the state, asked for an award of N5 million cost against the plaintiff.
Tribunal Sacks Kwara APC lawmaker, Declares PDP Winner As APC Rejects Ruling, To Appeal
The Kwara State House of Assembly Rerun Election Petition Tribunal, on Monday, nullified the victory of Adam Rufai of the All Progressives Congress in the by-election for Patigi constituency.
The tribunal subsequently declared Salihu Mohammed Gada of PDP winner of the by-election held on March 14, 2020.
However, the Kwara State chapter of APC rejected the judgment of the tribunal which declared the candidate of PDP the winner of the recent Patigi by-election.
The seat became vacant when Rufai’s brother, Saidu Ahmed, died in December 2019 after a brief illness.
It explained that the judgment was based on the difference between ‘Adam’ and ‘Adama’ on the certificate of the candidate of the APC.
Kwara APC made the complaint in a press statement by its Publicity Secretary, Folaranmi Aro, on Monday.
The statement was titled, ‘APC rejects, to appeal Tribunal’s judgment on Patigi … Says judgment a judicial subversion of people’s mandate’.
Aro complained that the PDP never called any witness from the examination body to substantiate its claim that the APC candidate was not the owner of the certificate he tendered for his election.
Part of the statement read, “The tribunal did not deny that we won the election overwhelmingly. It instead hid under a feeble excuse that the names of our candidate on the two certificates he presented to the electoral body are slightly different from each other to award our mandate to the opposition.
“It is a sad day for democracy as the judgment is a slap on thousands of the electorate who stood in the sun to make their choices.
“This judgment is a violent attack on the position of the Supreme Court in many established cases where an alphabet was either omitted or added to a candidate’s name. We are definitely going to appeal the judgment because it signals a danger for our democracy and amounted to stealing the mandate of the people. The judgment is a judicial subversion of the mandate of the people.”
Meanwhile, a former senate President, Bukola Saraki, has congratulated Yahaya over the judgement.
The former Kwara State governor tweeted, “A big congrats to the candidate of our party @OfficialPDPNig for the State Assembly by-election held in Patigi, Kwara State on 14th March, 2020. Hon. Salihu Muhammad Yahaya has just been declared the winner by a tribunal. I also congratulate all our stakeholders for their steadfastness.”
News9 months ago
Kwara Gov Seeks Better Care For Fallen Heroes’ Families, Veterans
News4 months ago
Rape: Lady Caught Raping A 4 Year Old Boy In Rivers State
Grassroot4 months ago
Nasarawa: Appoint Isimbabi As Nasarawa SSG, Toto LG Youths Urges Gov Sule, Says Their Huge Electoral Strengths Should Be Consider.
News8 months ago
Gov. Bello To Return All Local Government Administrators As Elected Chairmen
News4 months ago
EGBIRA DEVELOPMENT ASSOCIATION NASARAWA STATE WRITES GOV SULE OVER BANDITRY IN TOTO LGA
News10 months ago
Breaking: About 9 Gunmen Invaded Toto Town, Kidnappes Housewife, Husband Whereabout Unknown
News9 months ago
Unknown Gunmen Attack Kogi Communities, Kill APC Chairman, Chief Imam and 20 Others, Injured Policemen
Editorial5 months ago
Alleged Mocking Kyari’s Death: I didn’t Celebrate Kyari’s Death, People Misunderstood Me Out Of Context — Engr. Mauazu Magaji, Ex Kano Commissioner, Works And Infrastructure.