Connect with us

Health

Ghana: Communities With Large Outbreaks Of COVID-19 Cases Will Be Put Under Curfew – President Akufo-Addo In An Address To The Nation.

Published

on

Spread the love

President Nana Akufo-Addo of Ghana has warned government will not hesitate to cordon off or impose curfew on any community that may record what he termed unexpected outburst of new coronavirus infections in the country.

The lifting the three-week old partial lockdown imposed on parts of the country, he said, does not mean Ghana is out of the woods yet, indicating that the government will not let its guard down in the fight against the deadly virus.

Although the number of infections has risen to over a thousand, the President said it now has a grip on the rapid spread of the virus, hence the withdrawal of the lockdown which saw movement restricted in Accra, Tema, Kasoa and Kumasi.

With the current aggressive tracing and testing approach, the President admitted that new cases or infections will definitely be recorded.

Nana Akufo-Addo said adequate and appropriate measures have been put in place by government to isolate and treat such persons as and when they test positive for the virus which has killed nine people in Ghana.

READ:  Sen. Adamu @ 74: Speaker Balarabe Says The Former Governor Laid A Foundation For The Growth Of The State.

However, President Addo said “should there be an unexpected outburst in infections within the community, I’ve put the health workers and the security services, including the Police Service and the Armed Forces on standby, to coordinate a rapid response of human and logistical resources if necessary, to cordon, impose a curfew, trace, test and treat infected persons in the affected community”.

In order to avoid such situation, Nana Akufo-Addo has advised the people of Ghana to ensure they stay at home and only move out when it is necessary.

“Stay at home unless it is absolutely essential,” he said in his televised address Sunday night to brief Ghanaians on the country’s efforts to combat the coronavirus which currently has no cure.

The Ghana President also advised Everyone should wear face mask in order to slow down the spread of infection.

Meanwhile, the President is also encouraging the wearing of nose masks by all as part of precautionary measures to help them avoid contracting the virus.

READ:  Revocation Of Late Saraki’s Land: ‘Abdulrazaq Has Crossed The Line’ __ Dr Saraki Hits Kwara Governor

“If you own a business, or are providing a service, i.e. a barber, a hairdresser, a tailor, a taxi driver, a trotro driver and his ‘mate’, a shop keeper, a food seller, please do well to use a mask,” he advised.

The Ministry of Health, he said, will in the coming days issue guidelines on face masks for public use.

Nana Akuof-Addo is also entreating religious, traditional, opinion and community leaders to partner with government in engaging, mobilizing and enforcing social distancing and personal hygiene in their communities.

On the Ghana’s index cases crosses 1,000 Of the 68,591 samples tested so far, 1042 representing 1.5% have are confirmed positive, while the remaining 67,549, representing 98.5% tested negative for the virus.

Additionally, 99 persons have recovered and have been discharged, with 930 persons, who have been isolated responding to treatment either in their homes or in treatment facilities.

The increase in number of cases in the last three weeks has been attributed to government’s aggressive tracing and testing of contacts of infected persons.

READ:  Breaking: Court Orders Release Of Orji Kalu from prison Because of Promotion Of Providing Judge.

“The modest successes chalked at containing the spread of the virus in Accra and Kumasi, and the severe impact on the poor and vulnerable, I have taken the decision to lift the three-week-old restriction on movements in the Greater Accra Metropolitan Area and Kasoa, and the Greater Kumasi Metropolitan Area and its contiguous districts, with effect from 1 am on Monday, 20th April,” Nana Akufo-Addo explained.

The ban on social gatherings is to remain in full force. That is public gatherings of more than 25 people is banned.

Also, schools across the country are also to remain closed, but Nana Akufo-Addo said “businesses and other workplaces can continue to operate” while observing staff management and workplace protocols with the view to achieving social distancing and hygiene protocols.

Operators of commercial vehicles will continue to run but they must do so with minimum number of passengers. The Ghana President stated.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Health

Kogi State Government To Engaged More 700 Health Professionals To Sustain Its Health Coverage In The State

Published

on

Spread the love

 

Kogi state Government has expressed its readiness to recruit additional seven hundred health professionals to help to sustain its health coverage in the state .

Commissioner of health , Doctor Saka Audu made the disclosure while flagging off of ‘Nursing Now Campaign in Lokoja,the state capital.

He also announced the establishment of committee tagged “inter professionals Association committee ‘to resolve disputes among various Heath bodies in the state.

Doctor Saka noted that the crisis rocking health bodies if not amiably settled would affect Government’s effort to deliver effective and efficient health services to the populace .

He described the nursing profession as unique and Noble as their services to humanity cannot be equantify

READ:  Hon. Kabiru Idris Congratulates Gov. Bello, Hails Judiciary for its Independence

Doctor Saka said Government was working out modalities to resolve the disputes that led to the close down of the Federal medical center Lokoja.

In a message on the occasion, the Speaker of kogi State House of assembly, Right honourable Mathew Kolawole assured that the house would collaborate with the ministry by making law that will help to weed out quack practitioners in the state.

The speaker who was represented by the Chairman house committee on health and member representing Lokoja one constituency, Alhaji Isah Tenimu commended nursing for their efforts to safe lives of the citizens.

In a keynote address, the state Director of Nursing Mrs Martina Oguche said this year celebration is focusing on five critical areas which are, ensuring nurses and midwives have prominent voice in health policy making, recruiting more nurses into leadership positions, conducting research that help determine where Nurses can have the greatest impact.

READ:  Ondo APC Crisis: Commissioner Of Police Blocks Deputy Governor of The State From Leaving Government House.

Various Goodwill messages came from the state head of civil service Mrs Deborah Ogunmola,The executive Chairman of primary healthcare agency, Doctor Abubakir Yakubu, and Acting Director of Nursing services, hospitals management board, Mrs, MB Olorunnyomi among others.

Continue Reading

Health

Nigeria Senate Kick Against Foreign Methods Of Fighting COVID-19, Rejects N75,000 Test Fee For Int’l Flight

Published

on

Spread the love

The Senate has cautioned relevant stakeholders in the health sector against killing the nation’s economy by adopting foreign methods of fighting COVID-19 pandemic.

Senate’s admonition against imported measures of fighting COVID-19 came from the co-chairman of the Senate Joint Committee on Health and Aviation, Senator Smart Adeyemi (APC, Kogi West), during an interactive session with stakeholders in the Aviation and Health sectors on safety measures put in place in the wake of the resumption of international and domestic flights in the country.

Senator Adeyemi, who chairs the Senate Aviation Committee, said although based on realities on ground, COVID-19 was real but not potent in Nigeria and many other African countries.

Sen Smart Adeyemi, APC, Kogi West.

According to him, based on that reality, it was wrong for relevant authorities in the country to be swallowing hook, line and sinker, measures being adopted to fight the disease in Europe, Americas, China and other advanced countries of the world.”There is something in us as Africans that is not in them in Europe and America, which made COVID-19 not to be disastrous here as it was there.

READ:  Hate Speech: NBC Fines Nigeria Info 99.3FM N5m Over Mailafia Interview 

“In the light of this, measures that are detrimental to the livelihood and well-being of Nigerians should be avoided, so as not to kill the nation’s economy.

“People are not finding things easy outside there as a result of the way and manner COVID-19 pandemic is being fought in the country and as representatives of the people, feelers reaching us indicate revolt against government in December if drastic actions are not taken between now and then to make things easier” Adeyemi warned.
For his part, chairman of the Joint Committee, Senator Yahaya Oloriegbe (APC, Kwara Central), specifically faulted the policy adopted by the Presidential Task Force (PTF) on COVID-19, which allows only private laboratories to carry out tests on intending travelers abroad at the cost of N75,000.

READ:  Hon. Kabiru Idris Congratulates Gov. Bello, Hails Judiciary for its Independence

The measure according to him, is detrimental to average Nigerians who are being forced to cough out N75,000 for the test, which he described as unacceptable.

“The amount is too high, it should be brought down and public health Institutions laboratories should be equipped to carry out the tests”, Oloriegbe said.

Also, Senator Biodun Olujimi (PDP, Ekiti South), took up both the Minister of Health, Dr. Osagie Ehanire and coordinator of PTF, Dr. Sani Aliyu, who were both present, on the usefulness or otherwise of facemasks in Nigeria against the backdrop that some don’t comply with the directive and are free from COVID-19.

READ:  Sen. Adamu @ 74: Speaker Balarabe Says The Former Governor Laid A Foundation For The Growth Of The State.

She said based on what she saw in many communities in Ekiti State last week, residents have jettisoned its usage of facemasks.
Responding, Dr. Aliyu said the three reasons of standard of living, demography and aggressive nature of African countries were identified to defy coronavirus.

Continue Reading

Health

Healthcare: Zulum Approves 594 Doctors, Nurses, Others For Borno hospitals, Okays Annual Course For 200 more

Published

on

Spread the love

 

… To Increase Doctors, Nurses Quarters

 

Governor Babagana Umara Zulum has approved the engagement of 84 medical doctors, 365 nurses and midwives, 45 pharmacists and 100 health technicians and other supportive staff, making 594 personnel being added to Borno’s healthcare sector.

Zulum announced the recruitment on Monday in Maiduguri at the end of a meeting with Borno’s public healthcare stakeholders attended by Chairman of Borno Assembly’s Committee on Health, Commissioner for Health, Dr. Salihu Kwayabura, Chairman, National Association of Nurses and Midwives, Umar M. Shettima, and heads of the State’s Health Management Board, Contributory Health Scheme, and Primary Healthcare Development Agency amongst other stakeholders. The meeting held at the Government House.

READ:  Hon. Kabiru Idris Congratulates Gov. Bello, Hails Judiciary for its Independence

Of the 365 nurses and midwives, the Governor explained, half were fresh graduates of colleges while the others were recruited from experienced persons who had retired from the Borno civil service after years of serving in hospitals as nurses and midwives. Zulum said they have now been recruited on contract.

On the 84 medical doctors, the Governor said, some were recruited as permanent staff while some are being engaged on contract and sabbatical services.

Zulum noted that the 45 pharmacists and 100 technicians and supportive staff he approved, would work in laboratories and other diagnostic sections as key components of the health sector.

READ:  Breaking: Court Orders Release Of Orji Kalu from prison Because of Promotion Of Providing Judge.

The Governor said the far reaching decision, aimed to drastically increase the number of healthcare professionals across Borno State so as to bridge existing gaps in citizens-doctors and nurses ratio, and to eventually match the increase of hospitals and primary healthcare centres in the state, 51 of which were established by the administration.

Zulum also announced that he had given approval for the State College of Nursing and Midwifery to begin annual foundation programmes that will aim to admit 200 student nurses and midwives annually. He said the foundation will commence with initial 135 student nurses, with five drawn from each of Borno’s 27 local government areas.

READ:  Gov. Bello Appoints New Personal Assistant, Sacks Security Aides

The Governor said the State will however enter agreement with all students who will enjoy steady payment of allowances, that on graduation from colleges, they will not leave the State, until after working in the State’s health sector over a period of time, for which they will be paid like other workers.

Zulum also announced that the State will soon embark on aggressive construction of new staff quarters for doctors, nurses and midwives, to encourage productivity.

Commissioner for Health, Dr. Kwayabura, pledged the commitment of all stakeholders in the health sector to improved access to quality and affordable medical services in line with Governor Zulum’s development objectives.

Continue Reading

Trending