By Yahaya Idris, Abuja.
A South African owned Real Estate Investment Company, Novare, based in Nigeria has donated assorted palliative items to the Federal Capital Territory Administration’s food bank to help vulnerable communities to cushion the effect of the sit-at-home.
Presenting the items to the Administration, Head of Legal, Barrister Chineme Onuoma, said Novare with an investment portfolio of four retails malls across Nigeria would continue to support the Federal Capital Territory and Nigeria in the fight against COVID19.
While commending the steps taken by the administration to manage the pandemic in the territory. the organisation said it has so far approved four months rent-free period (beginning from April 2020 to July 2020) with the intention to extend if necessary for its tenants, particularly those tenants providing non-essential services as described by the Federal Government.
A statement from the office of the Minister of State FCT signed by Austine Elemue, said, “Novare on May 29, 2020 donated food items worth millions of naira to the FCT in a phased palliative intervention to ameliorate the hardship being experienced by some Nigerians during these period of the pandemic.
“Each of Novare’s mall accommodates over 60 tenants, having Shoprite and Game as its anchor tenant, with over 600 direct employees and well over 2000 indirect employees in each mall, including suppliers of the different goods and products sold by the tenants at the mall.
“To ensure that jobs and livelihoods are protected, starting from those closest to it, Novare, as part of its Cooperate Social Responsibility, has so far approved four months rent-free period, beginning from April 2020 to July 2020, with the intention to extend if necessary for its tenants, particularly those tenants providing non-essential services as described by the Federal Government.
“The rent-free concession granted to tenants have helped to keep their various businesses afloat, thus alleviating the financial burden on these tenants. This financial assistance enables the tenants to channel the income they generate to payment of staff salaries and sustaining their respective supply chains. This effectively reduces unemployment, which would have been the consequence if tenants were unable to survive this period”.
The Legal Officer of Navare, Onuoma, who made the presentation stated that the firm has expressed commitment to observe all laid down protocols by the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) on the prevention of the spread of the virus particularly within its facilities and to educate and sensitize the public in line with government directives.
Receiving the items on behalf of the administration, FCT Minister of State, Dr. Ramatu Tijjani Aliyu, commended the thoughtfulness of the firm especially in supporting the vulnerable with palliative items and more significantly in putting measures in place to ensure job sustainability.
Aliyu, who was represented by her Senior Special Assistant on Administration and Strategy, Prof. Muhammad Usman, stressed the need for collaboration in the battle against COVID-19 pandemic, while assuring that the items would be distributed to deserving communities,the statement read.
Items donated include 100 bags of 50kg rice, 245 cartons of indoomie, 100 cartons of spaghetti, 100 cartons of vegetable oil and 75 cartons of tomato paste.
US President Donald Trump To Remain In Hospital For A ‘Period Of Time’ – White House Official Says
US. President Donald Trump will remain in hospital for a “period of time,” a key White House official said on Sunday.
The official ruled out the need to move towards a transfer of power within the federal government.
Trump improving on COVID-19, may be discharged Monday Trump treated with antiviral drug, ‘resting comfortably’ in hospital – Doctor National Security Adviser Robert O’Brien told broadcaster CBS that day seven and eight after the onset of symptoms are the “critical days” for any patient.
Trump was diagnosed on Thursday with the new coronavirus and was moved, the next day, to the Walter Reed medical centre, a military facility outside Washington.
He apparently had some breathing difficulties initially, but his doctors say his condition has improved and that the medical team “remains cautiously optimistic’’.
His oxygen levels were back within a normal range on Saturday.
The president received an antibody cocktail and is on a treatment course of Remdesivir.
Trump issued a four-minute video on Saturday from the hospital.
Wearing a blue suit jacket and no tie, the president insisted he was “starting to feel good’’ and would soon be back to work at the White House.
The illness has thrown Trump’s re-election campaign into a tailspin, with just 30 days to go into the November vote.
The team has been trying to put forward a sense of normalcy but campaign manager, Bill Stepien, is among a number of people in Trump’s inner circle to have contracted the coronavirus in the past week.
Jason Miller, a campaign adviser, was pressed on ABC’s This Week about the president often refusing to wear a mask and holding large rallies, insisting that Trump has taken the virus “very seriously”.
Nigeria Overtakes India As World Capital For Under-Five Deaths
Nigeria has overtaken India as the world capital for under-five deaths, according to the 2020 mortality estimates released by United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF).
The development comes two years earlier than the World Bank projected.
The global bank had said in 2018 that Nigeria would take over from India as the world capital for deaths of children under the age of five by 2021.
According to World Bank figures, India recorded an estimated 989,000 under-five deaths in 2017, while Nigeria recorded 714,000 deaths in the same year.
UNICEF, in the report titled: ‘Levels and Trends in Child Mortality’, said Nigeria recorded an estimated average of 858,000 under-five deaths in 2019 as against India, which ranked second with 824,000 deaths out of 5.2 million under-five deaths globally.
The statistics, which covered a period of three decades–1990 to 2019– showed that 49 per cent of all under-five deaths in 2019 occurred in just five countries: Nigeria, India, Pakistan, the Democratic Republic of Congo and Ethiopia.
“Nigeria and India alone account for almost a third,” it said.
The report said under-five mortality rates declined by almost 60 per cent since 1990.
However, the UN expressed concerns that “while the extent and severity of the mortality impact of COVID-19 on children and youth is still unknown, the potential of a mortality crisis in 2020 threatens years of remarkable improvement in child and adolescent survival from 1990 to 2019, the period covered in this report.
“The global under-five mortality rate declined by almost 60 per cent from 93 deaths per 1,000 live births in 1990 to 38 deaths in 2019. Meanwhile, mortality among adolescents aged 10–19 fell from 13 deaths per 1,000 adolescents aged 10 in 1990 to 8 deaths in 2019—a 39 per cent decrease.
“Even with that progress, some 5.2 million children died before reaching their fifth birthday in 2019 alone. Tragically, many of those children died of preventable or treatable conditions.”
According to the data in the report, Nigeria recorded 209,000 neonatal deaths in 1990– a 61,000 increase compared to 270,000 deaths in 2019.
The figures for number of deaths among children aged five to 14 also increased from 104,000 in 1990 to 119,000 in 2019.
Nigeria’s population has doubled since 1990, which means the percentage of neonatal deaths in the country has reduced, but the absolute numbers are higher.
The report said while child deaths are uneven across regions, the situation is worse in sub-Saharan Africa and Central and Southern Asia.
“In 2019, sub-Saharan Africa carried more than half of that burden with 2.8 million under-five deaths (53 per cent), followed by Central and Southern Asia with 1.5 million (28 per cent).
“The regions of Australia and New Zealand, Eastern and South-Eastern Asia, Northern Africa and Western Asia, Europe and Northern America, Latin America and the Caribbean, and Oceania (excluding Australia and New Zealand) account for the remaining 19 per cent of under-five deaths.
“Sub-Saharan Africa also bears the brunt of deaths among children and young people older than age 5, accounting for 44 per cent of deaths age 5–24,” it stated.
The report added that while the COVID-19 pandemic has limited direct impact on child mortality, countries worldwide are now experiencing disruptions in child and maternal health services due to resource constraints and a general uneasiness with using health services due to a fear of contracting COVID-19.
“While current evidence indicates the direct impact of COVID-19 on child and youth mortality is limited, indirect effects stemming from strained and under-resourced health systems; limitations on care-seeking and preventative measures like vaccination and nutrition supplements; the socio-economic strain on parents and households resulting from job loss or economic downturns; and stress to children and parents associated with abrupt societal shifts may be substantial and widespread.
“Moreover, many of these indirect effects may not be apparent for some time after the pandemic recedes and may reverberate for an extended period following the pandemic,” it
UNICEF Director, Henrietta Fore, said: “The global community has come too far towards eliminating preventable child deaths to allow the COVID-19 pandemic to stop us in our tracks.
“If the child survival targets are to be met on time, resources and policy must be geared toward not only sustaining current rates of decline but also accelerating progress, which would save millions of lives. If the trends from 2010 to 2019 continue, 53 countries will not meet the SDG target on under-five mortality on time—if all countries were to meet that target, 11 million under-five deaths would be averted from 2020 to 2030.
“Achieving child survival goals and heading off a reversal of progress in child survival in 2020 will require universal access to effective, high-quality and affordable care and the continued, safe provision of life-saving interventions for women, children, and young people.
“If all countries reach the SDG child survival targets by 2030, 11 million lives under age five will be saved—more than half of them in sub-Saharan Africa.” (ThisDay)
Ghana Finally Replies Nigeria, Writes On Demolitions, Seizures, Says Allegations Did Not Reflect The True State Of Affairs.
The Ghanaian minister of information, Kojo Oppong Nkrumah has sent a six-page response to Nigeria, over accusations of hostilities to Nigeria and harassment of Nigerians.
On Friday, 28th August, the Nigerian Government, reeled out a litany of hostilities and harassments committed by Ghana against Nigerian interests and Nigerians and declared it will no longer tolerate future unfriendly acts.
In a statement by Information minister, Lai Mohammed, the Nigerian government announced it is urgently considering ”a number of options at ameliorating the situation”.
Ghana has now responded to all issues raised by Nigeria, acknowledging they have the potential to sour relations between the two countries.
Nkrumah outrightly denied most of the allegations, saying they did not reflect the true state of affairs.
And responding to Nigeria’s subtle threat to take counteractions, Nkrumah said: Any protests, decisions, or actions based on Lai’s statement “will thus be unjustified”.
He outrightly defended Ghana using signed agreements and laws.
Read Ghana’s response below:
News2 years ago
Kwara Gov Seeks Better Care For Fallen Heroes’ Families, Veterans
News1 year ago
Rape: Lady Caught Raping A 4 Year Old Boy In Rivers State
Grassroot1 year ago
Nasarawa: Appoint Isimbabi As Nasarawa SSG, Toto LG Youths Urges Gov Sule, Says Their Huge Electoral Strengths Should Be Consider.
Insecurity1 year ago
Egbira Development Association Nasarawa State Writes Gov Sule Over Banditry In Toto LGA
News2 years ago
Breaking: About 9 Gunmen Invaded Toto Town, Kidnappes Housewife, Husband Whereabout Unknown
News1 year ago
Gov. Bello Appoints New Personal Assistant, Sacks Security Aides
News2 years ago
Gov. Bello To Return All Local Government Administrators As Elected Chairmen
News2 years ago
Unknown Gunmen Attack Kogi Communities, Kill APC Chairman, Chief Imam and 20 Others, Injured Policemen