..… Assures State Burial For Deceased Protester.
The Edo State Government on Friday charged all security agencies to fish out the killers of the #EndSARS protester in the state within 24 hours and ensure that the perpetrators of the dastardly act are brought to justice.
Addressing the protesters at the Kings Square in Benin City, Deputy Governor, Rt. Hon. Comrade Philip Shaibu, said the government will not fold its arms and watch harm come the way of young people exercising their rights as citizens of the country.
According to Shaibu, “I have given instructions to the security agencies to fish out those behind the attack. The police, the Department of State Security (DSS) and other security agencies have been ordered to bring to book those guys that harassed you and killed that young man.”
“Some of you sustained injuries, I can see them from here; they have 24 hours to bring the attackers to book,” he noted.
The Deputy Governor further said: “I have ordered that the victim be taken to the morgue; we are going to give him a state burial because the martyrs of this struggle must be remembered. He will be remembered for being part of this struggle. He is a martyr already and by the grace of God, he will never be forgotten.
“By the grace of God, when all these reforms have taken place, it will be on record that he joined the struggle for emancipation. I want to assure you that the Edo Government believes in your peaceful protest.”
Assuring the protesters of the government’s support, Shaibu noted: “We will not fold our hands as a government and watch miscreants brutalize anyone involved in this protest. So, please maintain your calm and orderliness during the protests.
“We are with you in this struggle. President Muhammadu Buhari has also said that there is going to be a reform, but we, as a state, are going to ensure that we have a reform that is people-friendly because the police are meant to protect lives and property not to destroy them. I want to assure you that we are with you on this.”
Speaking on behalf of the protesters, Mr. David Osayende said, “One of us has been killed during this struggle. Sir, we want state burial for that man. We want an end to police brutality; we want the police to stop arresting us without any offence.”
#EndSARS: Kogi Sets Up 9 Man Committee To Assess Rhe Extent Of Looting, Destruction.
Idris Ahmed, Lokoja.
Kogi state Governor, Alhaji Yahaya Bello has sets up a 9 Man committee to assess the extent of destruction and looting of public and private properties in the aftermath of #EndSARS protest.
Inaugurating the committee on behalf of the Governor on Saturday, Secretary to the State Government SSG), Dr. Mrs Folashade Arike Ayoade, charge the members to do justice and adhere strictly to the terms of reference
The Governor, Alhaji Yahaya Bello who condemned the violence unleashed on the state capital, Lokoja, earlier this week by hoodlums hiding under the guise of #EndSARS protests, said perpetrators will be severely dealt with.
It would be recalled that last week Monday, hoodlums attacked and vandalized warehouses, public institutions, private businesses and residences where they looted or vandalized properties
He therefore urged the committee to work assiduously to able to assess the damage done to public institutions and individuals properties.
“The terms of reference are to undertake thorough assessment of all public and private properties, and critical infrastructure destroyed by the hoodlums .
“You are also required to compile the list of affected infrastructure, properties, other assets and materials destroyed and/or carted away by the hoodlums.
“Compile the replacement costs of all the affected infrastructure, properties and the materials identified as requested above.
“Advise the Government on immediate action plan, compensations and reconstruction of the affected infrastructure, properties and all the valuable assets destroyed or stolen during the violence”.
The Committee is chaired by Asiwaju Idris Asiru , Kogi State Commissioner of Finance, Budget and Economic Planning, while other members include, Alhaji Yakubu Okala, State Auditor General, Mr Abdulmalik Suleiman, Chief Security Officer to the Governor, Alhaji. Usman Ododo, Auditor General for Local Government and Commander Jerry Omodara (Rtd), State Security Adviser.
Other members are, CSP Sola Knight, representative of the Commissioner of Police, Mr. Paul A Odugah, representative of the Director of State Service, Mr Ephraim Amurawaye; while the Commissioner for Information and Communications, Hon. Kingsley Femi Fanwo is to serve as the Secretary to the Committee.
The Committee is given one week to complete its assignment and submit its report.
Speaking on behalf of the Committee, Asiwaju Idris Asiru thanked the Governor for the confidence reposed in them, assuring the people of the State that the Committee will do justice to the task given to it.
People Now Curse Me in Mosques, Says Aisha Yesufu
Activist, Aisha Yesufu, says she has been informed that people now curse her at mosques.
Yesufu, however, asked those cursing her why they had not done so when she was protesting against the government of former President Goodluck Jonathan.
She tweeted, “I heard I am being cursed in mosques! People finish praying and take time out to curse me in their prayers. I have asked that they should please let me know how many of these curses they rained on me when I was making the same demands during GEJ! We are all already cursed in Nigeria. Rolling on the floor laughing.”
Yesufu, who is a co-convener of the Bring Back Our Girls group, was one of the driving forces of the #EndSARS movement with the iconic photo of her in a flowing hijab with her raised clenched fist going viral on social media.
However, following her role in the protests, several northern elements, including an actor, threatened to harm her.
Kannywood stars, Zahradeen Sani and Zainab Abdullahi, had called on northerners to attack Yesufu for her role in the protests.
Responding, Yesufu tweeted, “I am not known in the North but a northern actor and actress are taking time out to call for attack on me.
“Until Nigerians put sentiments aside and loudly demand #SecureNorth #EndInsecurity, Buhari wouldn’t, but I hear they said protest is not allowed in Islam. It seems the killings and an incompetent president and commander-in-chief doing nothing is allowed. What do I know?”
#EndSARS: IGP Appeals To Policemen To Return To Duty Posts
The Inspector-General of Police (IGP), Mohammed Adamu, on Friday, begged personnel of the force to return to their duty posts.
The IGP made the appeal while addressing his men at the Federal Capital Territory command in Abuja immediately after he returned from assessment tour to various police facilities destroyed by the hoodlums during #EndSARS protests.
He also charged them to protect themselves against any assault at their respective duty posts.
He said his move to embark upon the tour was to boost the morale of officers who have abandoned the streets for the past few days sequel to various attacks suffered by the security operatives in various states.
According to him, the #EndSARS protesters were out to demoralise the personnel, adding that government and the Nigerian Police Force would soon roll out package for their welfare and those who have lost their lives during the nationwide protests.
He said: “We are here today to tell you that the government is concerned with what happened and the government is behind all of us.
“The federal government is behind all of us.
“You remember the speech Mr President gave, where he said not all police officers are bad.
“Only few that are there are bad, and they have to be reformed and the federal government is fully behind the police.
“And that the federal government will never accept any police officer to lose his life, that the unity of this country lies on the support that is given to police officers because if you’re demoralised, the tendency is for the criminals to take over the public space.
“The country is relying on us to make sure that the public space is not taken over by the criminals.
“So, no amount of provocation, no amount of insult will make us to shy away from our responsibilities in as much as we are aware that government is behind us.
“So, we will encourage you to continue performing your duties, we will encourage you to be professional in performing your duties, and we will encourage you to be civil but if anybody touches you, if anybody comes to assault you, you can also protect yourself.
“When we talk of human rights, the police are humans.
“So, the rights of police officers should also be protected.
“We are sending the message, that legally, we have the rights to protect ourselves.”
The police chief noted that the federal government had vowed to reform all the “bad eggs” within the force, assuring that recently signed Police Act will cater for the welfare of all its personnel.
“The Federal Government has vowed to make sure that from now, the police is reformed in all segments of the Force; whether it is in the area of logistics, welfare to individual officers or to our barracks.
“It is for that reason that the Federal Government, for the past 10 years, the government of this country has been trying to come up with an intervention in terms of police trust fund, where money can be found to take care of police’s needs.
“It is only this government that has been able to see the light of passage of Police Trust Fund.
“So, all our barracks will be taken care of.
“All our logistic requirements in terms of vehicles, in terms of medicals, all segments of what is required of police officers to have for them to perform their duties, the fund will take care of that.
“Not only that, within the new Police Act that has been passed into law, there are a lot of provisions that take care of welfare of police officers.
“It is not administrative way or administrative procedure to take care of your officers but it is now legal that those welfare requirements must be given, and it is this government that passed them into law, that Police Act 2020,” he added.
Committee to assess losses
Shortly after he returned to force headquarters, the IGP inaugurated a 9-man committee to assess losses suffered by the force and pay a condolence visit to all families of deceased police officers and the injured ones.
The committee, which has a Commissioner of Police, Abutu Yaro, as its chairman, is expected to submit its report within three weeks.
Other duties delegated to the committee include; visit to the scenes of the incident and capture the pictorials of all damages done to police infrastructure and personnel; verify the fatalities suffered by the police; establish the weapons holdings that were lost during the incidents and others.
196 suspects arrested, arraigned
Speaking earlier, the Commissioner of Police, FCT command, Bala Ciroma, disclosed that no fewer than 16 major incidences were recorded from violent clashes in Abuja, where 10 lives were lost and several persons sustained varying degrees of injury.
He added that the command has, however, arrested and arraigned 196 suspects in connection with the arson on private property and police outpost in Dutse-Makaranta which was raised down during the mayhem.
Ciroma said: “It is no news that the infamous #ENDSARS movement which commenced on 11th October, 2020 at the Unity Fountain, eventually resulted into violent agitations which festered other criminal activities within the last two weeks in the FCT.
“As a result of this, the command recorded sixteen major incidences resulting from violent clashes which erupted at Berger Round-About, Apo-Kabusa, Dutse-Alhaji.
“This was followed by a high wave of looting and vandalism of public infrastructures, warehouses and other private property at Kubwa, Gwagwalada, Jabi-Daki-Biu, Iddo and Wuye.
“The most devastating of these unpropitious activities was the malicious burning of Dutse-Makaranta Police outpost.
“During the period under review, the command arrested and arraigned 196 suspects before six mobile courts.”
News10 months ago
Kwara Gov Seeks Better Care For Fallen Heroes’ Families, Veterans
News5 months ago
Rape: Lady Caught Raping A 4 Year Old Boy In Rivers State
Grassroot5 months ago
Nasarawa: Appoint Isimbabi As Nasarawa SSG, Toto LG Youths Urges Gov Sule, Says Their Huge Electoral Strengths Should Be Consider.
News5 months ago
EGBIRA DEVELOPMENT ASSOCIATION NASARAWA STATE WRITES GOV SULE OVER BANDITRY IN TOTO LGA
News9 months ago
Gov. Bello To Return All Local Government Administrators As Elected Chairmen
News11 months ago
Breaking: About 9 Gunmen Invaded Toto Town, Kidnappes Housewife, Husband Whereabout Unknown
News10 months ago
Unknown Gunmen Attack Kogi Communities, Kill APC Chairman, Chief Imam and 20 Others, Injured Policemen
Editorial7 months ago
Alleged Mocking Kyari’s Death: I didn’t Celebrate Kyari’s Death, People Misunderstood Me Out Of Context — Engr. Mauazu Magaji, Ex Kano Commissioner, Works And Infrastructure.