Connect with us

Security

5 Years after Chibok Attack: Zulum Orders Rehabilitation Of School Where Girls Were Abducted By Boko-Haram.

Published

on

Spread the love

 

… Zulum shares N11m to 83 attacked families, inspects projects

Borno Governor, Professor Babagana Umara Zulum was in Chibok on Monday, during which he assessed and ordered the immediate rehabilitation of Government Secondary School, Chibok where more than 200 schoolgirls were abducted by Boko Haram on April 14, 2014.

Although the defunct presidential committee on northeast intervention, PCNI, had done some work in the school, majority of roofs were blown off when Zulum visited.

Zulum’s directive is coming five years after then minister of finance, Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala in March 2015, secretly flew into Chibok and laid foundation for the construction of a new school of international standard to replace the vandalized school. The federal government under Jonathan had by then initiated the project without involving the state government.

When Zulum visited the school alongside stakeholders and community leaders in Chibok, nothing had been done as the school remained what it was since the day it was attacked by Boko Haram.

READ:  Boko-Haram: Gov Zulum Meets Families Of Fallen Policemen, CJTF, Visit Hospital To Upsets Medical Bills 

“ I hereby direct the ministry of education to deploy a team of experts to assess the entire school and come up with a design and costing so that I can approve the immediate reconstruction and remodeling of this school. We will also ensure that the school is allocated adequate teachers, already I have given a directive for recruitment of more teachers both on permanent and ad-hoc staffing that will include volunteer teachers. Of course, before allocation of teachers, the reconstruction will involve the provision of all components of learning materials including functional laboratory for sciences. When I return here next time, I want to see a completely different scene” Zulum said.

More than 200 schoolgirls writing WAEC exams were abducted by Boko Haram. 219 of them were declared missing 57 escaped from their abductees days into the abduction. Of the missing 219 girls, one of them, Amina Ali was found in May 2016.

READ:  Boko Haram: I’m Disappointed With Buhari Govt For Rehabilitating Repentant Murderers – Senator Ndume

In October 2016, 21 of the girls were released by the insurgents through negotiations, while another 82 were freed through negotiation in May 2017. The Nigerian military at different times rescued two girls, making around 106, the number of the girls freed while more 100 have remained in captivity with their fate unknown.

Governor shares N11m to 83 families, inspects projects

Meanwhile, while in Chibok, Governor Babagana Umara Zulum sympathized with 83 families affected by Boko Haram attack in Takulashi, a community in the local government, and directed immediate release of N11m as social protection for them.

“What happened in Takulashi is very unfortunate, we share your pains and we all believe that nothing can equal the value of a single life. However, I will present token to support the 83 families affected” Zulum said.

12 family members of those who lost their lives during the attack received N300,000 each, 53 people whose houses were burnt down received N100,000 each while families of 9 persons also affected by the terrorist attack received N100,000 each. Another five persons who sustained various degree of injuries received N150,000 each while 4 families also received N150,000 each.

READ:  IGP, Mohammed Adamu Finally Disbands SARS (Read The Full Press Statement)

Aside that social support, Zulum inspected a community water project in Mboa about 5km away from Chibok town.

Mboa water project is designed with 750,000 liters surface tank with water sources from 10 deep aquifer boreholes each with 500,000 liters overhead tank. The project which is expected to be completed in 2021 is expected to solve perennial water scarcity bedeviling Chibok town and other communities around.

The Governor also inspected an ongoing Damboa – Chibok road project. Governor Zulum engages the engineers and charged them to ensure qualitative work.

“The road between Damboa and Chibok has been ongoing for quite some time, I am here to supervise ahead of our target for completion by next year, 2021 insha Allah” Zulum said.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Security

Nigeria Police Force Promotes 82,779 Junior Officers To Their Next Ranks, Pledges To Reform The Force.

Published

on

Spread the love

 

—Those Killed By EndSARS Rioters Get Posthumous Promotion.

IGP Mohammed Adamu

By Yahaya Idris, Abuja.

The Inspector-General of Police, IGP M.A Adamu, NPM, mni, on Monday, 23rd November, 2020 approved the promotion of Eighty-Two Thousand, Seven Hundred and Seventy Nine (82,779) Junior Police Officers to their next ranks. The promotion of the officers comprising 56,779 Sergeants to Inspector, 17,569 Corporal to Sergeants and 8,431 Constables to Corporal is part of the on-going efforts at boosting the morale of personnel and repositioning the Force for greater efficiency. Those promoted also include 86 junior officers negatively impacted by the ENDSARS riots – 16 got special posthumous promotion while 70 others injured during the violence arising from the ENDSARS protests were equally specially promoted.

READ:  Boko-Haram: Zulum Presents 20 Million naira Cheque To Late Col. Bako's Widow, Orphan

A statement by DCP Frank Mba
Force Public Relations Officer,
Force Headquarters,
Abuja, said the IGP, while congratulating the officers, charged them to see their promotion as a mark of additional responsibility and a call to rededicate themselves to their professional calling. He enjoined them to continue to carry out their duties diligently and in conformity with best practices and respect for the rights of the citizen. He noted that the promotion albeit, posthumously, of the officers who were killed by some ENDSARS protesters is a symbolic gesture in recognition of the ultimate price they paid in the service of the nation.

According to the statement, the IGP promised to work with all relevant agencies, organs of Government and other stakeholders in driving a successful reform of the Police for improved welfare and conditions of service towards better service delivery to the people.

READ:  Nigeria Police Force Promotes 82,779 Junior Officers To Their Next Ranks, Pledges To Reform The Force.

 

Continue Reading

Security

Nasarawa Assembly Ask Security Agencies To Unmask Killers Of State APC chairman

Published

on

Spread the love

 

The Nasarawa State House of Assembly, has called on the state government and security agents to intensify efforts in unravelling the killers of the state All Progressives Congress ( APC) chairman , Mr Philip Shekwo.

Rt. Hon. Ibrahm Balarabe-Abdullahi, the Speaker of the House made the demand after Hon Tanko Tunga, the Majoriy Leader of the House moved a motion under the matters of public interest on the death of Shekwo  during the House proceedings in Lafia today.

He said that unravelling and punishing the perpetrators of the evil act would serve as deterrent to others and would ensure peace in the state.

” The resolution of this House  is to the effect that members advised His Excellency, Gov. Abdullahi Sule to direct the security agents to work hard to unravel the perpetrators of this act to face justice.

READ:  IGP, Mohammed Adamu Finally Disbands SARS (Read The Full Press Statement)

” Security agents are to intensify efforts to protect lives and property of the citizens.

” Government should provide adequate support to the security agents to effectively protect lives and property, ” he said.

According to him, our state APC chairman is a man of peace, is an easy going man  and this is one death to many.

” We have lost a leader in the state and may his soul rest in perfect peace,” the speaker said.

The speaker directed the clerk to the House to produce a clean copy of the House resolution to the governor for his further necessary action.

Earlier, Hon Tanko Tunga, the Majority Leader of the House while moving a motion under the Matters of public interest said that it is inhuman and ungodly for someone to take another’s life.

“It is ungodly and godless to take the life of another person. Security operatives are around, government are doing their best  in protecting lives and property.

READ:  Four Killed in South Sudan-Uganda Border Clash

” And it is not that government are not doing anything but this is the sign of end time,I am calling on perpetrators of the act to repent and change for the better,” he said.

Hon Danladi Jatau, the Minority Leader of the House supported the majority leader’s motion and urged government to put more efforts to protect lives and property.

” It was unfortunate that we received the news of the death of the APC chairman with shock.

” Government are doing their best in the area of security  but a lot need to be done towards protecting the lives and property of the people across the state,” he said.

Others members who contributed Hon Mohammed Okpoku,Hon David Maiyaki and Hon Labaran Shafa threw their weights behind the submissions earlier made and called on government to give more support to National Orientation Agency to do more in sensitizing people on morality to guide the younger generation against negative acts.

READ:  Saudi Arabia Says It Will Develop Nuclear Weapons If Iran Cannot Be Stopped From Making One

The House unanimously passed a resolution advising the state government to direct  the security agents to put more efforts in addressing the security challenges facing the state.

Shortly after the sitting,the Speaker led other members to paid a condolence visit to the deceased family where they were received by the deceased deputy Aliyu Barde, Yarus Dagusa and the deceased wife Larai Philip Shekwo.

It would be recalled hat on Nov. 21, 2020, the Nasarawa State Chairman of APC, Mr. Philip Shekwo was reportedly abducted from his residence in Lafia, the state capital,  and found dead on Sunday, Nov. 22, 2020.

Continue Reading

Religion

Islamic Group Alerts NSA Over Imminent Religious Crises In Kogi

Published

on

Spread the love

 

Idris Ahmed, Lokoja.

National Security Adviser, (NSA), Major General Babagana Monguno (rtd)

An Islamic group in Okene local government area of Kogi state, ‘Righteous On-Lookers Association’ has raised alarm over threat to peace following the lingering crises rocking the area on the appointment of Chief Imam.

Worried by the ugly situation, the group has appealed to the National Security Adviser, (NSA), Major General Babagana Monguno (rtd), to prevail on Kogi State Government to put in place procedure for the appointment of a substantive Chief Imam of Okene Central Mosque.

The appeal was contained in a letter addressed to the office of the national security adviser titled “Security alarm -The pending leadership crises over Imamship of Okene central juma’at mosque” signed by the patron of the association , Ahmed Adoke copies which were made available to newsmen in Okene on Sunday.

READ:  IGP, Mohammed Adamu Finally Disbands SARS (Read The Full Press Statement)

Adoke lamented that the yet to be resolved Imamship crises has pitched two Islamic group; the Tijaniya and Ansarul Islamic Society of Nigeria in the area against each other as a result of disagreement on the mode of ascension to the position of Chief Imam of the central Juma’at mosque in Okene.

According to him “Our concern is that instead of addressing the mode of ascension that has generated palpable tension, Kogi State Government waded in and appointed one of the contenders as acting chief Imam for an indefinite period.

“Thus giving the appointee an undue advantage over other contenders, a situation that seems to have generated more tension in the area.”

READ:  #EndSARS Protests: Bello Hails Nigerian Youths, Describes Them As Patriots.

He pointed out that part of the consequences of Kogi State government’s action was the recent violent clash between supporters of the two Islamic groups putting the area in an unnecessary apprehension.

While calling on the State Governor, Alhaji Yahaya Bello, to as a matter of urgency do the needful to avoid further crises that can snowball into massive killings and destructions of property, Adoke cautioned that religious crises can be more disastrous than political crises if urgent steps are not taken.

“As much as we appreciated and commended the quick intervention of the state governor , His Excellency Governor Yahaya Bello immediately after the demise of Late Chief Imam Alhaji Musa Galadima, we still appeal to your honourable office and other Islamic Authority to act promptly in order to avert further crises against the existing peace we are enjoying in Kogi State.

READ:  Saudi Arabia Says It Will Develop Nuclear Weapons If Iran Cannot Be Stopped From Making One

“This association is of the candid view that the leadership (Imam) crises has gotten to a level that calls for attention of your respected office, especially when considered the fact of the strategic location of Okene town as a gateway between north and southern parts of the country” he said.

National Security Adviser, (NSA), Major General Babagana Monguno (rtd)

While appealing to the two warring Islamic sects to exercise utmost restraint in the interest of peace and the comfort of Islam that both parties propagate, Adoke drew the attention of those fuelling the crises directly or indirectly to bear in mind that the consequences of any crises can not be underestimated, noting that “no one can predict the end result”

Continue Reading

Trending