Connect with us

Security

Saudi Arabia Says It Will Develop Nuclear Weapons If Iran Cannot Be Stopped From Making One

Published

on

Spread the love

 

…. Adel al-Jubeir says it is an option’ to develop nuclear weapons in response Iran.

It comes after US President Donald Trump reportedly considered an air strike
President was reportedly talked out of air strike on Iran’s main nuclear facility
Saudi Arabia could develop nuclear weapons if Iran becomes a nuclear power, the country’s foreign minister has warned.

Adel al-Jubeir said it is ‘definitely an option’ for the Middle-Eastern state to develop nuclear capabilities if its rival Iran could not be stopped from making one, according to reports.

He reportedly told DPA news agency that other countries would also likely do the same.

According to Al Jazeera, the foreign minister said: ‘Saudi Arabia has made it very clear, that it will do everything it can to protect its people and to protect its territories.’

The comments come amid reports outgoing US President Donald Trump considered launching a strike against Iran’s main nuclear facility last week.

Adel al-Jubeir said it is ‘definitely an option’ for the Middle-Eastern state to develop nuclear capabilities if its rival Iran could not be stopped from making one, according to reports.

The Foreign Minister also reportedly told DPA news agency that other countries would also likely develop nuclear weapons (pictured: library image) in response to Iran

Iran vows a ‘crushing response’ to any US attack after Trump ‘talked out of’ airstrike

Iran warned today it would retaliate with ‘crushing’ force against the US if Donald Trump ordered a strike against the country’s nuclear facilities, after reports that he was considering it in the final weeks of his presidency.

Ali Rabiei, an Iranian government spokesman, warned that ‘any action against the Iranian nation would certainly face a crushing response’ after US officials told the New York Times that Trump had asked about ways to punish Iran for its nuclear build-up.

The Pentagon’s strike plans against Iran are thought to include missile attacks, cyber-warfare, and pre-emptive action by Israel, which has previously carried out a series of operations against Iran.

While Trump’s advisers talked him out of a military strike, he might still look at other ways to hit Iran, officials said – weeks before he is due to hand power to Joe Biden who wants to re-enter the 2015 nuclear pact that Trump abandoned two years ago.

READ:  "Our Commitment To Security Of Lives, Properties In A'Ibom Is Sacrosanct".  - CP Declared

Trump’s Oval Office meeting came a day after inspectors said Iran had increased its stockpile of nuclear material and given unconvincing explanations for uranium particles that were found at another site.

Trump asked his top national security aides including vice president Mike Pence, secretary of state Mike Pompeo, acting defense secretary Christopher C. Miller and joint chiefs chairman Mark Milley about the potential strike, sources said.

Miller is holding the top Pentagon job after Trump fired previous defense secretary Mark Esper last Monday.

Trump’s advisers ultimately dissuaded him from launching a strike by warning that such action could trigger a wider conflict with Iran, the officials said.

A source confirmed the account of the meeting to Reuters, saying: ‘He asked for options. They gave him the scenarios and he ultimately decided not to go forward.’

Any missile strike or cyber-attack would likely have targeted Iran’s main nuclear enrichment facility, Natanz, which Tehran insists is meant for peaceful purposes.

Most of the complex is underground and it is subject to monitoring by the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) under the nuclear accord.

In its latest report, the IAEA said Iran’s uranium stockpile is now 12 times larger than the limit set under the Obama-era pact which Trump abandoned in 2018.

The agency said that as of November 2 Iran had a stockpile of around 2,440kg of low-enriched uranium, up from 2,100kg on August 25.

The limit under the deal signed with Britain, France, Germany, China and Russia is just over 200kg.

However, senior advisers talked him out of the dramatic action, according to two new reports.

Trump asked top national security aides including Vice President Mike Pence, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, Acting Defense Secretary Christopher C Miller and Chairman of Joint Chiefs Mark Milley about the potential strike at a meeting in the Oval Office last Thursday, the New York Times reported Monday, citing four current and former US officials.

READ:  FCT Minister Of State, Dr. Aliyu Condemns Kuje Kidnappings, Describes Its As Unfortunate And Heinous

The meeting took place a day after international inspectors informed United Nations members that Iran had significantly increased its stockpile of nuclear material.

Trump’s advisers ultimately dissuaded him from launching a strike by warning that such action could trigger a wider conflict with Iran, the Times sources said, weeks before Trump is due to hand over power to Joe Biden.

They said any strike, either by missile or cyber, would likely have targeted Iran’s main nuclear enrichment facility, Natanz.

A separate source confirmed Times’ account of the meeting to Reuters, saying: ‘[Trump] asked for options. They gave him the scenarios and he ultimately decided not to go forward.’

The International Atomic Energy Agency, a watchdog for the UN, reported in a confidential document last Wednesday that Iran’s uranium stockpile is now 12 times larger than the limit set under the nuclear accord Trump pulled out of in 2018.

The nuclear deal signed in 2015 with the US, Germany, France, Britain, China and Russia, known as the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA), allows Iran only to keep a stockpile of 202.8 kilograms (447 pounds).

The IAEA reported that Iran has also been continuing to enrich uranium to a purity of up to 4.5 percent, higher than the 3.67 percent allowed under the deal.

Natanz, also called the Pilot Fuel Enrichment Plant, is located about 200 miles south of Tehran. Most of the complex is underground and it is subject to monitoring by IAEA under the nuclear accord.

In its latest report the IAEA also said that Iran had barred its inspectors from accessing another site where there was evidence of past nuclear activity.

The officials who spoke to the Times said Trump reacted to the IAEA report by asking his aides about what options he had to respond to Iran’s nuclear expansion.

They said Pompeo and Milley outlined the risks of military escalation, and that officials left the meeting with the impression that Trump had been dissuaded from launching a missile attack.

READ:  IGP, Mohammed Adamu Finally Disbands SARS (Read The Full Press Statement)

But, they said Trump may still be looking into ways to strike Iranian assets and allies, including militias in Iraq, the Times reported.

The US accuses Iran of backing terrorists in Gaza, Syria and Iraq, including a group who attacked the US embassy in Baghdad last December.

Days later, Trump ordered the drone strike that killed Iranian general Qassem Soleimani, sparking several alarming days of high tensions and a barrage of Iranian missile strikes on US bases in Iraq.

President Donald Trump asked senior national security advisers about launching a strike against Iran’s main nuclear site at a meeting last week, the New York Times reported Monday.

Trump’s policy of ‘maximum pressure’ has also seen the US military carry out cyber-attacks against Iran, which in turn has been linked to cyber-attacks on power stations and utilities in Israel during 2020.

The US was also behind an Israeli operation in Iran which killed al-Qaeda’s deputy leader Abdullah Ahmad Abdullah, according to a separate NYT report last week.

Abdullah, who went by the nom-de-guerre Abu Muhammad al-Masri. was secretly shot and killed in Tehran by Israeli operatives on a motorcycle at Washington’s behest, it is claimed.

The operation is said to have taken place on August 7 on the anniversary of the 1998 US embassy bombings in Tanzania and Kenya, which were carried out by al-Qaeda.

Iran denied the report of Abdullah’s killing, claiming on Saturday that it was ‘made-up information’ and blaming US policies for the emergence of al-Qaeda.

But Washington has previously accused Iran of harboring members of the terror group behind 9/11 and allowing them to pass through its territory.

US president-elect Joe Biden has said he intends to revive the Iran nuclear accord when he takes office on January 20, but that plan could be thrown into jeopardy if tensions between the US and Iran escalate in Trump’s final weeks in the White House.

 

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Security

Herders Boasted That only Preident Buhari Can Order them out Of Oyo

Published

on

Spread the love

 

A Yoruba freedom fighter, Sunday Igboho, has revealed that Fulanis in Igangan, Oyo State, boasted that only President Muhammadu Buhari can order them out of the State.

Igboho disclosed this in an interview published on Mama SOJ Vlog on Sunday.

He said the confrontation occurred at the Seriki Fulani’s place last Friday.

Igangan is a community in Ibarapa North Local Government Area.

The activist had gone to meet the Seriki, Saliu Kadri, to protest the killing of Yoruba individuals in recent times.

He listed the murder of an Oyo businessman and prominent farmer, Dr. Fatai Aborode, an Igangan prince, among others.

The aggrieved grassroots mobilizer also decried the massacre of Alhaja Serifat Adisa, the owner of Subawah Petroleum, and her two children.

Igboho recalled that some traditional rulers asked him to visit them over the spate of insecurity in Oyo.

“When I got there, they complained of the murders that occurred lately. They expressed their helplessness, that the situation had become unbearable and they wanted the Fulani out.”

READ:  Nigeria Police Force Promotes 82,779 Junior Officers To Their Next Ranks, Pledges To Reform The Force.

Igboho revealed that the monarchs insisted the Northerners were behind killings and kidnappings in their domains.

“I asked about the head, they mentioned Seriki; that no one can confront him. I said how? They replied that Seriki is so powerful that when the police arrested his sons, he threatened a crisis within 72 hours. Of course the police released them,” he said.

Igboho lamented that three checkpoints were mounted before getting to the Fulani leader’s residence.

“When I got there, the Seriki called a senior Police officer. I said no problem, he gave me the phone. Just then, one of my boys called my attention that a Fulani man had pointed a gun at me, I approached and dared him to shoot. We took the gun.

“Soon after, another person fired a shot. We rushed and grabbed the pumping (pump-action shotgun). Then I went to Seriki and told him ‘These are guns’. He apologized. At that point, I insisted those who killed Doctor (Aborode), Alhaja, etc must be fished out. His response was ‘I am scolding the boys who did the job’. I said really?

READ:  Special Constabulary Police reintroduced in Kogi, 441 trained, inaugurated

“What amazed me was the type of vehicles in his compound. New Camry, Venza, Range (Rover)….cars of about N15million. I wondered if it was through N80,000 cows that he made all this money. Such funds can only be through kidnapping.

“The Fulanis around Seriki’s compound that day were more than 1,000. They were issuing threats. They said it was their land and asked if we didn’t know the President is one of them. They boasted only Buhari can order them out. I said oh, so Buhari told you to be kidnapping and killing us.

“I further stated if that is the case, you all should leave. If you cannot produce the killers of Dr. Aborode, Alhaja, Fatai, and many others, as well those who abducted and beheaded our people, the madman will murder the person staring at him. If Seriki fails to come forward with the culprits by this Friday and do not leave Igangan, we will meet.”

READ:  Four Killed in South Sudan-Uganda Border Clash

Asked if he is not scared that the Fulani are in control of the federal government, Igboho said they are free to own whatever they like.

“They do not own God or Yoruba land. Buhari is not from Oyo, the only power he has is to kill me on Oyo soil”, he declared.

Hours after the popular figure issued the ultimatum, Igangan residents alerted that some armed Fulani herdsmen attacked four farmers on their way back home.

Two of the victims allegedly died. The skull of one of them, Seun, was cut open with machete. The video is circulating.

Meanwhile, the Oyo State Government has commenced investigation on Igboho’s threat. This is amid his supporters’ warning against

 

Continue Reading

Security

Special Constabulary Police reintroduced in Kogi, 441 trained, inaugurated

Published

on

Spread the love

 

Idris Ahmed, Lokoja.

Kogi State Government in its commitment to ensure crime free society, has trained 441 men and women as special Constabulary police to complement the police in intelligence gathering, crime detection and prevention across the 21 local government areas of the state.

The Special Constabulary Police programme was reintroduced by the federal government to assist in curbing the rising tide of crime at the grassroots across the country and all state commands of the police were directed to screen and recruit 16 able bodied men and women in each state.

Kogi state Governor, Alhaji Yahaya Bello, who felt the number was too meagre for his state, sought permission of the federal government to sponsor 441 personnel 21 from each of the 21 local government areas of the state.

Inspecting the Special Constabulary Police parade in Lokoja over the weekend, after successful rigorous training at the Nigerian Police Training College, Ilorin, Kwara State, Governor Yahaya Bello admonished them to use the knowledge acquired from the training to strengthened the security architecture of the state by cooperating and supporting all the security agencies to curb insecurity in the state.

READ:  Boko-Haram Attack: Sen. Shettima Leads Borno NASS Members To Pays Empathy, Solidarity Visit To Zulum In Maiduguri

Governor Bello who recalled that when he took over the mantle of leadership in 2016 the state was the hub of kidnapping, armed robbery, banditry and herdsmen/farmers crises, stated that through the concerted effort of his administration on security , the state today has become the safest in the country.

He charged the newly recruited Special constabulary to double their efforts in the discharge of their duties and responsibility, urging them to abide by all the ethics , law and regulations of the Nigeria police force.

He warned that whoever exhibit any act inimical to the law , will face the full wrath of the law, advising them to be good ambassadors of their various communities.

READ:  Nigeria Police Force Promotes 82,779 Junior Officers To Their Next Ranks, Pledges To Reform The Force.

“I will ensure that your remuneration and welfare remain a front line charge to enable you discharge your duties effectively and sincerely.

“I will equally urged you to ensure that every part of your local government is secured.

You have been carefully selected and you are expected to go back to your communities and gather information that will lead to arrest and prosecution of criminals in your communities .

“You should cooperate with local government council Chairmen, traditional rulers , all the security agencies to ensure that no criminal enter your community to unleash mayhem on the people . If you secure your local government, Kogi state will be secured.

“If you exhibit any behaviour that are inimical to the law , the full wrath of the law will be meted on you and as such you should be good ambassador of your community”he warned

He promised to sort the permission of the president , the Inspector General of Police and the Police Service Commission for their training and retraining to improve their efficiency towards combating crimes at the grassroots.

READ:  Buratai Inducts New Artillery Guns, Inaugurates New Army School of Artillery Headquarters Complex

Presenting the personnels to the governor, the Commissioner of Police, Kogi State , CP Ayuba Edeh explained that the presidency initiated the re introduction of the Special Constabulary Police programme and ordered that sixteen persons of unquestionable characters be trained for grassroots policing in each local government.

He added that Governor Yahaya Bello being a security conscious governor seized the opportunity and increased the figure from sixteen to twenty one personnel per local government.

The Commissioner of Police , warned them against taking side on the basis of tribe , religion , group or association, and urged them to treat people as one without discrimination.

He also urged them that their primary assignment is how best they curb criminality in the state and as such charged them to cooperate with the police in their local governments.

Continue Reading

Security

Just In: Akeredolu Order Herders To Vacate Ondo Forest Reserves, Bans Night Grazing

Published

on

Spread the love

 

As part of measure put in place to stem insecurity, Governor of Ondo State, Rotimi Akeredolu, has ordered herders to vacate the forest reserves in the state, adding that the decision was based on the state of insecurity in the state.

Akeredolu in a statement disclosed this via a tweet on Monday.

According to the Governor, “bad elements” have turned the forest reserves into hideouts for keeping victims of kidnapping, negotiating for ransom and carrying out other criminal activities.

His tweet said: “All Forest Reserves in the State are to be vacated by herdsmen within the next 7 days with effect from today, Monday 18th January, 2021,” Akeredolu said.

READ:  Four Killed in South Sudan-Uganda Border Clash

“Night-grazing is banned with immediate effect because most farm destruction takes place at night.”

“Movement of cattle within cities and highways is prohibited. Under-aged grazing of cattle is outlawed.

“Our resolution to guarantee safety of lives and property within the State shall remain utmost as security agencies have been directed to enforce the ban.

“In its usual magnanimity, our administration will give a grace period of seven days for those who wish to carry on with their cattle-rearing business to register with appropriate authorities.

Governor Rotimi Akeredolu of Ondo State

 

Continue Reading

Trending