The world football governing body, FIFA has found Ahmad Ahmad, the head of Confederation of African Football, guilty of corruption charges levelled against him.
This, FIFA on Monday announced five-year suspension of Ahmad.
Ahmad has been the CAF president since March 2017 and was standing for re-election.
In a statement, FIFA said Ahmad had “breached his duty of loyalty, offered gifts and other benefits, mismanaged funds and abused his position as the CAF President”.
Ahmad has also been fined 200,000 Swiss francs ($220,000) by FIFA for the misdeeds, which related to “the organisation and financing of an Umrah pilgrimage to Mecca” and his involvement in CAF’s dealings with a sports equipment company.
The 60-year-old, who last week stood down from his post for 20 days after testing positive for coronavirus, can appeal the ban “from all football-related activity” at the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS).
In April 2019 he was accused of a series of offences by former CAF official Amr Fahmy, who informed FIFA in a letter that Ahmad had paid bribes to directors, made personal use of CAF funds, and sexually harassed a number of employees.
Two months later he was arrested in Paris while at the FIFA Congress ahead of that year’s women’s World Cup as part of a probe into corruption, but was released a day later without charge.
Ahmad’s bid to remain head of CAF was being challenged by Augustin Senghor, the president of the Senegalese Football Federation.
Mauritania’s Ahmed Yahya, Ivory Coast’s Jacques Anouma and South African billionaire Patrice Motsepe have also thrown their hats in the ring.
Last month former CAF senior vice-president Kwesi Nyantakyi had his lifetime ban from football for breaking FIFA bribery and corruption rules reduced to 15 years.
Nyantakyi quit his positions as Ahmad’s number two and president of Ghana’s football association two years ago after being secretly filmed accepting a $65,000 bribe from journalists posing as businessmen who wanted to invest in Ghanaian football.
The official also agreed to a fictional sponsorship deal created by the reporters, which they told Nyantakyi would have funnelled millions of dollars designed for Ghanaian football to a company he runs.
Lucas Piazon Signed For Braga On A Permanent Deal After His Loan At Rio Ave.
The Brazilian leaves after nine-and-a-half years at Chelsea. In 2012, he made three appearances for the Blues and was named the club’s Young Player of the Year having helped us win the FA Youth Cup.
Piazon, who signed from Sao Paulo in his homeland and was a Brazilian youth international, subsequently spent loan spells at Malaga, Vitesse Arnhem, Frankfurt, Reading, Fulham – who he helped win promotion to the Premier League in 2018 – and Chievo.
Read more about Piazon’s career
Everything you need to know about the January 2021 transfer window
The latest news from our players on loan
He joined Rio Ave in Portugal at the start of last season on an 18-month loan deal and was a regular as they came fifth, their joint-highest league finish, qualifying for the Europa League in the process. They were knocked out on penalties by AC Milan in the final qualifying round at the start of the current campaign.
PIAZON PROVIDED AN ASSIST ON HIS CHELSEA DEBUT AGAINST WOLVES IN SEPTEMBER 2012
Piazon’s new club Braga are fourth in the Primeira Liga. They are managed by former Sheffield Wednesday and Swansea manager Carlos Carvalhal, who was also Piazon’s boss at Rio Ave last season.
We would like to wish Lucas the best of luck for the rest of his career and thank him for his service.
Nasarawa United FC Declares Player Missing
The Management of Nasarawa United Football Club has announced that its player, Muhammad Abdallah Hussain, has gone on AWOL (Absent Without Official Leave) and his whereabouts is unknown even though he is suspected to be currently in the camp of one of the NPFL Clubs.
Chairman, Barr. Isaac Danladi, told the Club’s Media Unit that the said player has an existing contract with the Solid Miners and has been receiving his monthly salary to date.
He disclosed that Muhammad Abdallah Hussain has not returned to the Lafia-based Club since leaving the camp of the National U-20 Youth Football Team, the Flying Eagles, following their ouster from the WAFU U-20 Championship in Benin Republic recently.
According to the statement issue
Nasarawa United FC, said the Nasarawa United supremo warned anyone or Club doing business with the player with the intention of securing his transfer out of the Lafia-based club to desist forthwith otherwise the club or person will be doing so at his or her own peril.
The Club Chairman further Stated that the NFF and LMC have been duly informed of the development.
Recall that the midfielder was invited to the Nigerian National U-20 Male team by Coach Ladan Bosso on 13th November, 2020, following his impressive performance for Nasarawa United in a preseason friendly game against the Flying Eagles in Abuja.
“Our aim is to get many Anthony Joshua out of Kwara Boxers”. – Barr. Ahmed
By Yemi Sodeeq, Kwara.
Ahead of the Mega Boxing Bout coming up in Ilorin on the 1st of January, 2021, the Chairman, Kwara State Amateur Boxing Association, Barrister Ahmed Musa Rufai has expressed optimism that the state will produce next World boxing Stars.
Speaking with Sportspro News correspondent ahead of the bout which will hold at the Indoor Sports Hall of Kwara State Stadium Complex, he said the association has adopted the policy thrust of the Government in repositioning sports in the State.
“We have a sport loving Governor in person Abdulrahman Abdulrasaq and he has motivated all the sporting association Chairmen under the sports council to do one programme or the other event”. He said.
Rufai noted that the Association is leveraging on the opportunity availed the sporting community to stage a new year sporting event tagged the ‘Mega Boxing Bout 2021, Another “A for AA 2021”.
“It is a Boxing bout that consist of Kwara State, Oyo and Osun State and it promises to be a mega bites”. The helmsman revealed.
Noting that boxing event will help keep the boxers on their feet and strong ahead of the Edo National Sports festival, he added that the participation of other State is a way of motivating them.
Barrister Ahmed, who emphasised that they have been exploring many ways to get the boxers in the state connected said their aim is to get many Anthony Joshua out of Kwara Boxers.
“It will gladden your heart that we normally send every of our fight to the podium of Anthony Joshua and if people like that can say there are athletes here that can perform ,so our aim is to get many Anthony Joshua out of Kwara Boxers. ”
The Executive Governor of Kwara State, Mallam Abdulrahman Abdulrasaq is expected to lead other dignitaries to the boxing event which will commence at 1pm.
News1 year ago
Kwara Gov Seeks Better Care For Fallen Heroes’ Families, Veterans
News7 months ago
Rape: Lady Caught Raping A 4 Year Old Boy In Rivers State
Grassroot7 months ago
Nasarawa: Appoint Isimbabi As Nasarawa SSG, Toto LG Youths Urges Gov Sule, Says Their Huge Electoral Strengths Should Be Consider.
Insecurity7 months ago
Egbira Development Association Nasarawa State Writes Gov Sule Over Banditry In Toto LGA
News11 months ago
Gov. Bello To Return All Local Government Administrators As Elected Chairmen
News1 year ago
Breaking: About 9 Gunmen Invaded Toto Town, Kidnappes Housewife, Husband Whereabout Unknown
News7 months ago
Gov. Bello Appoints New Personal Assistant, Sacks Security Aides
News1 year ago
Unknown Gunmen Attack Kogi Communities, Kill APC Chairman, Chief Imam and 20 Others, Injured Policemen