FCT primary school teachers suspend strike

FCT minister Nyesom Wike

FCT primary school teachers suspend strike

…Laud Wike’s 40 % intervention.

By Sadiq Abubakar, Abuja.

Primary school teachers of the Local Education Authority (LEA) in the Federal Capital Territory (FCT)) has suspended it’s ongoing strike action indefinitely.

Our correspondent had reported that primary school teachers in the FCT since on January, 15, 2024, embarked on strike over non- payment of their 25 months national minimum wage arrears and non- implementation of the 40 percent peculiar allowance and among other allowances by the six area council chairmen of the FCT.

The suspension of the primary school teachers strike was contained in a communique, jointly signed by the state chairman of the FCT wing of the Nigeria Union of Teachers (NUT), Comrade Abdullahi Mohammed Shafas, Secretary, Comrade Margaret F. Jethro and Publicity secretary, Comrade Ibikun Adekeye, which was issued to newsmen at the end of the emergency meeting of the State Wing Executive Committee (SWEC) of the union held at the teachers house in Gwagwalada, FCT late Friday, evening.

The union said, the decision to suspend the ongoing strike, followed the intervention of the FCT minister Nyesom Wike to pay 40 percent of the total sum of the of the 25 months arrears of the national minimum wage and also committing the six area council chairmen to pay the remaining 60 percent within three months with effect from January, 2024.

FCT minister Nyesom Wike
FCT minister Nyesom Wike

The union, added that, the suspension of the teachers strike was informed by Wike’s commitment to ensuring payment of the remaining 60% percent by the six area council chairmen through direct deduction at the Joint Account Allocation Committee (JAAC) meeting I’m three installments starting from January, 2024.

The union, therefore, appreciated Wike’s resolved and commitment to securing from the National Salaries Income And Wages Commission (NSCIWC) to clarify on the payment of the 40% peculiar allowances of the LEA for his appropriate action.

“And having deliberated exhaustively on the Hon Minister’s appreciable intervention and commitment on the contending issues, the SWEC-In – Session resolved thus,:
“That the ongoing strike action by the LEA teachers across the six area councils of the FCT as declared by the union be suspended with effect from Monday, 29th January, 2024,” the union said.

The union, while saluting the resilience resoluteness and steadfastness of its members in sustaining the strike while it lasted, however, said failure of the FCTA and or the area councils to abide by their commitment within the stipulated time will leave the union with no other option than to resume the suspended strike.

The communique, therefore, advised on the teachers to have confidence and faith in the competence of their leaders in achieving the aforementioned demands, saying the union is poised to intensify more effort in continuous agitation for its members welfare in the FCT.

Leave a Reply